An uncomfortable confrontation

The days were progressing peacefully. Although Cohen lurked at the back of her mind like an uneasy shark, Karlä was doing her best to maintain a positive mindset.
Although the past couple of days were a bit strange. Having been called up again to the USWNT much to her shock, Karlä was spotting an odd figure at training. She was sure the sessions weren't open so Karlä didn't understand why someone was there.
Other players began to notice. "Who the fuck is that?" Ash asked Dawn to which the trainer shrugged, clearly not having a clue either.
Eventually things came to a head when the guy got his phone out, presumably taking a photo. Then Allie, Megan and Ash all marched towards him.
"The fuck are you doing?" The goalkeeper snatched the mobile from the strangers hands.
It wasn't until the man raised his head, that the feeling of nausea consumed Karlä.
It increased when a finger was pointed at in her direction. "I know her." A steel voice croaked out. The players all turned around not knowing who to face. "Know who?" Allie demanded.
Barry McColl smirked. "Karlä Pugh."

"How?" Mal pushed past her fellow teammates to face him. Batty gave nothing away. "Ask her." Karlä sighed. She couldn't get out of this. "Mr McColl works for my..." I can't believe I'm fucking saying this , was all that was in her head "boyfriend."
Everyone let out various reactions. "Who's your new guy?" Julie asked. Karlä's eyes widened as she watched McColl's narrow and she quickly responded "Oh we've been together for a while now."
Tobin seemed to step in to her rescue. "We just want to know...sorry to be rude, why you are here?" Batty have his signature creepy grin. "Just here to pass a message." "Do it in front of us." Carli demanded.
The middle aged man shrugged. "Fine." His focus was now directly on Karlä. "Your boyfriend would like to see you." "Why?" Karlä corrected herself. "When?" Barry looked at his device which was still in Ashlyn's clutches. "I'd say any time available."
Karlä nodded. "Fine by me." It wasn't.
As she turned to walk away, Karlä could hear her sister speak. "Um excuse me but who are we talking  about here? Cohen Carlson?" Mal used her exes name in almost a mocking manner, not exactly expecting the answer which was a simple nod.
"They are not dating." Barry raised both eyebrows. "How?" His focus was on Karlä who was still slowly backing away although she then felt someone grab her arm, probably Lindsey. Feeling obliged to reply, Karlä swallowed a lump in her throat before quickly muttering "We weren't together for a bit but we're back now." Barry gave a satisfied nod but the fire that Karlä had not seen for a long time, appeared in Mal's eyes.
Realising she couldn't face the heat, Karlä broke free from Lindsey's grip before running back to the base, humiliated by what she'd become.