The decision

They stood there  in silence. "I can't." Karlä was adamant. Dawn was confused. "You can't what? Be pregnant? We can do the test again if you want."
Shaking her head, Karlä explained "I believe the test. I just can't bring a kid into this world."
To her relief, Dawn didn't question why. Simply nodding she said "So do you want to go to a clinic?" Looking at her phone she added "The nearest clinic's 3 miles away."
Karlä nodded. She wanted to get this over and done with.
Just then, another certain Pugh appeared. "Karlä?" Mal had a concerned face. "Are you ok?" Then she spotted the test in Dawn's hands.
Her face instantly paled and Karlä dreaded her reaction. "Are you..."
"Pregnant." Karlä confirmed the news and expected the worse.
She watched Mal's face change to an even more blank expression and Karlä wished that her sister would cry, scream, yell do anything that showed emotion.
Dawn didn't seem to know what to do, just standing there awkwardly between the two sisters.
She interrupted their staring contest by telling them "I'm going to rejoin the team. Let us know your decision. No pressure."
After Dawn left, Karlä averted her eye contact to the floor. Mal immediately noticed this and picked her chin up, forcing the siblings to share eye contact.
"Hey, I'm not mad at you." She reassured her younger sister. Karlä nervously gulped. "Y-You're not?" Mal gave a big smile. "Of course not. It's your choice." She then sighed. "I feel like shit though. This is tough for anyone, let alone a vulnerable kid like you." Karlä didn't like being called a "vulnerable kid" but she brushed it off.
"I can't carry a kid Mal." She summarised.
Mal nodded. "We can get this done...as quickly as possible then... I can get your mind off it."
Her phone went off and Mal looked at her device before sighing. "I've got a date with Dansby today." She remembered. Karlä felt bad. "I can do this..."
"No." Mallory was firm. "I'm sticking with you the whole day." A look of guilt resurfaced. "It's the least I could do after all this time."
Eventually Mal had an idea. "We can get an appointment...get this out the way. Then we can meet Dansby and I'll, get him to bring someone else as well." Karlä raised an eyebrow. "Are you trying to set me up Mal?"
The sisters laughed.
Even in the most horrible of circumstances, Karlä knew she had Mal to rely on.