"You're not damaged"

"R-Randy Hepburn?" Mal stuttered out. Sure enough a familiar figure was strutting out with Dansby next to him. Who then froze on the spot when he saw the two girls they were meeting with.

AUTHORS NOTE: This is my interpretation of who Randy looks like. Feel free to imagine someone else!

As Dansby turned round to ask Randy what was wrong, Mal once again turned to her sister and hissed "Randy? The Randy Hepburn?" "It's not as bad as Cohen is it?" Karlä fired back

"It's not as bad as Cohen is it?" Karlä fired back.
When Dansby and Mal embraced, both Randy and Karlä shared eye contact. It was brief but it was enough to make both of them avert their gaze instantly in awkwardness.
Everyone finally sat down and both Hepburn and Karlä could feel Mal's glares on them.
Dansby introduced Randy to them but both already knew who he was. Unfortunately.
An exciting prospect in the MLB already, Hepburn was signed to the Atlanta Braves on a professional contract, becoming the youngest player in the league's history to do so.

Though he was excellent on the field, Randy Hepburn had a sketchy past off it. Born into a dysfunctional family in which his father left when he was eight, the baseball player's mother then turned to drugs and alcohol, essentially neglecting her kid. In and out of various homes, Hepburn experienced various types of abuse which was so unbearable the then 16 year old attempted to track down his mum. All he saw however was a dying, crack addicted women who appeared decades above her actual age and didn't recognise her son.
Though this disgusted and traumatised the boy, Randy then turned to drugs and alcohol himself.

The conversation was light and polite. With a lot of tension. So much that even Dansby himself noticed and excused himself to the bathroom. In which his teammate followed him.
"I know." Karlä didn't want Mal to speak first. "I have shit taste in men." Mal raised her eyebrows. "I wouldn't necessarily say he's a terrible character..."
An awkward pause followed as both girls recalled his comparisons behaviour.
"However..." the older sister frowned "he's damaged." Karlä looked up to her sibling. "So am I Mal." The whisper was barley audible however it was picked upon.
"You're not damaged Karlä." Mal was firm. "You're just...delicate." She added in a gentler tone.
Karlä scoffed. "I'm not delicate."
Just then the boys came back with Randy red faced and Dansby looked pretty annoyed. "We've got to go." The latter announced in an impatient tone. He didn't even wait for his girlfriend to reply as they left the building.

Both sisters looked at each other. "Thank fuck."
Before bursting into laughter.