05 | jamal

❝ You might be ready to go on a suicide mission for that girl, but I'm not

You might be ready to go on a suicide mission for that girl, but I'm not. I'm done

Meanwhile in Freeridge, Jamal was getting lectured by his parents. Once. Again.

"And I don't want you hanging out with Ruby anymore either!" his mother stated.

"That's not happening," Jamal quickly objected.

His mom and dad stared at him furiously. "Excuse me?"

Jamal huffed and explained himself. "Look, Ruby is the only friend I really have."

"Well make new ones," Mr. Turner replied.

"But not with that Cesar boy!" Mrs. Turner quickly added.

"Wouldn't it be smart if I got on Cesar's good side? I'm not saying I want to, but..."

His parents exchanged an angry look. Then his father lashed out on him. "He gave you a busted lip and you want to be his friend?! Are you crazy?!?!?"

Jamal noticed that his parents were staring at him in disgust. He sucked his teeth. "You're not understanding what I'm trying to say!"

"Oh I think we completely understand!" his mother shouted. "Ruby has you acting like his bodyguard!"

"He didn't tell me to take the punch for him!" Jamal told them.

"So why on earth would you?!"

Jamal shrugged. "That's what friends do."

"Would he do the same for you though?" his dad pointed out. "Think about that."

After those words, his father left the room. Jamal let those words resonate in his head. He wasn't sure what the answer to that question was.

Meanwhile, his mother shook her head angrily. "I don't think you understand how dangerous this situation is."

"Why is it dangerous? I wasn't his target."

"But now you are because you couldn't mind your business! Now you have the attention of all the Santos!"

Jamal sighed. "Mom-"

"Stay away from Ruby, I mean it! And I better not see you with bruises when I come home!" she told him before walking out angrily.

Jamal slammed his hand on the table after that. This whole situation was uncalled for! And what for?! Over a girl?!

He shook his head in frustration and then his phone started ringing. When he saw it was Ruby, he quickly went up to his room and closed the door. "Yo."