32 | whole lotta hiding

❝ Do you really want to end up being a hostage like me?! Having to watch your back for the rest of your life?! ❞

Do you really want to end up being a hostage like me?! Having to watch your back for the rest of your life?!

It was now Monday. Jamal and Monse were conversing at her locker about He Who Shall Not Be Named.

"So you guys are over?" Jamal asked.

"Not exactly. I just told him that I need space."

"Which means you're over," Jamal concluded.

Monse closed her locker and gave him a brief glare. "No, Jamal! Don't you know anything about relationships?!"

"Actually, I don't. Enlighten me."

Monse huffed. "I was so close to breaking, Jamal. I wanted to lash out on him and call him a monster!"

"But you didn't. That's the important part."

"How long do I have to keep this up?! I can't stand looking at him!"

"Trust me, you won't have to keep this up for much longer," Ruby said from behind them.

They looked at him in horror when they laid eyes on his outfit. He was dressed like a Santo. Other students in the hall were gaping at him too.

"What...are you wearing?" Jamal questioned.

"You like it?" Ruby boasted, running his hands over his shirt. "Where's Isabella? I have to show her!"

"No, I don't like it! Why are you dressed like a Santo?!" Jamal hissed.

"Because I am one," Ruby revealed.

"Excuse me? WHAT?!" Monse exclaimed in shock. She proceeded to scold him. "Did you not witness what happened to Cesar?!"

"I did. That's why I agreed to help Spooky take down the Prophets."

"NO! Latrelle is angry, Ruby! If he finds out you're a Santo...he might take you next!" she warned.

Jamal nodded. "Monse's right. You're making yourself a target again! I thought you wanted a fresh start?!"

Ruby grew annoyed. "I do want a fresh start! But I also want Latrelle's ass gone!"

"We ALL do!" Monse shouted. "But you don't see us joining gangs!"

Ruby shrugged with a straight face. "Maybe we should."

Monse and Jamal sighed because there was no getting through to him. They couldn't believe this.

"Where's Cesar anyway?"

"He can't come to school, remember? He's in hiding," Monse reminded him.

"See! I'm sure that Cesar doesn't wanna be hiding for the rest of his life. That's why I joined the Santos."

"I'm sure Cesar is going to be very grateful," Jamal said sarcastically. He rolled his eyes as an argument erupted down the hall.

"The fuck was that for?!" Dave yelled.