28 | realization

❝ If this doesn't bring her to our side, I don't think anything will

If this doesn't bring her to our side, I don't think anything will.

It was now Thursday and half of the school day remained. No one had heard from Cesar yet, so there were a bunch of whispers in the halls.

"Where's Cesar?" "Is he dead?" "Is he in Juvie?"

Ruby rolled his eyes because no one was asking the real question; what did Latrelle do to him?

Ruby walked down the hall, listening to music on Jamal's phone. He begged Jamal to let him borrow his phone for gym and Jamal agreed.

Ruby bobbed his head to the music and then looked straight ahead. He stopped dead in his tracks when he saw Latrelle talking to a Prophet. They were heading right his way.

Ruby quickly dashed into the bathroom before they spotted him and hid in a stall. Please don't come in here, he prayed.

Then the bathroom door swung open.

"Damn, that's crazy bro," he heard the Prophet say.

"I know. With all the shit that's going on, I actually am trying to graduate," Latrelle replied.

"You got this. We can handle shit if you really need to focus on school."

"I don't doubt it, but I'm good. Maybe I'll ask Monse to tutor me."

The Prophet laughed. "We all know how that ends."

Latrelle laughed too. "Facts. Isabella fell for that shit fast. Aye, it was good though."

Ruby was getting heated. He wanted to leap out of that stall and attack Latrelle, but he stopped himself.

He stealthily took out Jamal's phone and started a voice recording. He heard the faucet turn on and saw the Prophet washing his hands through the small crack in the stall. "How is Monse though?"

The thought of Monse made Latrelle grin from ear to ear. "Man, she's real good."

"Are you cheesing?" the Prophet teased.

"Shit. I might be," Latrelle responded. They laughed.

"You must really like this girl," the Prophet commented.

"I do. She's different from the rest, man. I don't know what it is, but she makes me want to be a better man."

Ruby rolled his eyes and scoffed inwardly. Yeah right.

"Don't tell me you're getting soft on us now," the Prophet joked as he turned off the faucet and wiped his hands.

Latrelle shrugged. "I don't know. Only when it involves her. But I still got her wrapped around my finger. She'll do whatever I say."

"That's how we like them," the Prophet replied with a smirk. They laughed and then walked out of the bathroom. The bell rung after that.

Ruby ended the voice recording and jumped out of the stall. Bingo!