24 | pity

❝ I bet you get away with a bunch of stuff, Cesar

I bet you get away with a bunch of stuff, Cesar. You don't even have parents!

Tuesday morning, Ruby woke up to the sound of his alarm clock. He groaned and rolled over. He turned off the alarm and reached for his phone.

Oh wait, he didn't have one.

Realizing that caused him to suck his teeth. Having no phone absolutely sucked. Why did he have to be a dumbass and throw his phone on the ground?

Ruby needed a new phone like, yesterday, because how else was he supposed to know what's going on with Latrelle?! How else was he supposed to text Isabella?

Ruby begrudgingly got out of bed and headed for the bathroom. To his surprise, his mom and dad were sitting on the couch waiting for him.

Ruby blinked his eyes repeatedly, not sure if he was hallucinating or not. "Dad? Am I seeing this right?" he said in a surprised tone.

"Yes, it's me son."

"What are you doing here?"

"I live here?" his dad responded.

Geny shook her head disappointedly as she spoke to her husband while pointing at her son. "You see, he isn't the same anymore."

Mr. Martinez put his hand on her knee and spoke soothingly. "Relax, honey."

Ruby rolled his eyes and spoke mockingly. "Yeah relax. I didn't mean it like that."

"Ruby," his father scolded calmly.

"I just meant that you're always so busy. It's surprising to see you here," Ruby clarified.

His father rose from the couch. "I'm here now, that's all that matters. And I think I'm going to start being around more. By the things your mother tells me, you're going through a lot."

Ruby crossed his arms with a raised eyebrow. "Oh yeah? What did she tell you?"

"About how you brought that hoochie over here when you're GROUNDED!" his mother shouted.

"STOP CALLING HER A HOOCHIE!" Ruby shouted back.

Mr. Martinez couldn't handle their quarreling anymore. "STOP! Both of you are acting like children!"

Ruby shifted the blame onto his mother. "Ma just can't accept the fact that I'm growing up! I'm in love now!"

"That girl doesn't love you!"

"She does! She told me so!"

Geny huffed loudly and gave her husband a pleading look. "Please talk some sense into your son!"

"Look Ruby, I'm happy for you. But don't you think this happened a little too fast?" his father asked.

Ruby shrugged. "It's never too fast to fall in love."