16 | protection

❝ We need all the help we can get right now ❞

We need all the help we can get right
now

Saturday morning, Ruby arose from his bed with his arms outstretched overhead and with a grin on his face. He was happy that it was finally the weekend, especially after what happened last night.

From Cesar almost shooting him, to Latrelle popping up unexpectedly, Ruby just needed a break from it all.

He walked over to his mirror and observed himself. He was ready to go back to his old self, but there was one thing that he needed to do first—come clean to his mother.

He walked into the living room and called for his mother. "MA!"

"In the kitchen, Ruby!"

"Can you come here please?!"

Ruby's mother appeared. "What's wrong?"

"We need to talk."

"About what?"

Ruby walked over to the couch and sat down. He patted the bare spot beside him, gesturing for her to sit. "Have a seat."

Geny slowly walked to the couch, confusion and fear evident on her face. "You're scaring me."

"I don't think you're gonna like what I'm about to say."

Geny's eyes widened briefly, but then she relaxed and stared at him intently. "I'm listening..."

"Well, I guess I should start from the beginning..." Ruby started. He took a deep breath and let the truth escape his lips. "Okay, this whole beef with Cesar started over a girl."

"Ruby.."

"I know, it was dumb. I realize that now."

"Well, what's her name?"

"Isabella."

"And do you really like her?"

"I love her with all my heart," Ruby confessed.

Geny let out a small sigh, not wanting her baby boy to end up heartbroken. "And does she love you?"

Ruby opened his mouth to answer, but no words came out. He repeatedly opened and closed his mouth, struggling to answer that question.

Truth was, he didn't know if Isabella loved him, but to spare himself the heartache, he assumed the answer was yes. "Yes?"