27 | guilt

❝ I have a heart, Latrelle

I have a heart, Latrelle. I may not like him, but I don't want him to end up hurt.

Meanwhile, Monse and Latrelle were at a pizza place. Monse took an exaggerated bite out of her pizza, knowing that Latrelle was watching her waiting for her reaction. He claimed that this was the best pizza place in Freeridge, and that she'd enjoy this pizza more than NY pizza.

Monse continued to indulge in her pizza as Latrelle questioned her. "So? How is it?"

Monse put her pizza down and wiped the sauce off of her mouth. "It's good."

Latrelle looked satisfied with himself. That was until she finished her thought. "But still not better than NY pizza."

Latrelle's face fell flat and then he laughed. "Shit, I believe you."

"So how was class earlier? You know, with sitting next to your ex and all," Monse wondered.

"It's not as awkward as you think."

"And why is that?" Monse asked.

"Are you jealous, baby?"

Monse looked at him suspiciously. "Should I be?"

"You have nothing to worry about," he assured her. "She may still like me, but I'm over her."

Wait, what? Isabella liked him? Monse was confused.

"Wait, she likes you?"

Latrelle ate his pizza. "Yeah, I can tell she's jealous of you."

"But she's with Ruby..." Monse mused.

Latrelle shrugged. "That's why I'm glad she ain't mine to worry about anymore. That girl ain't loyal."

Monse shifted in her seat awkwardly. This information was definitely not sitting well with her. "I sit next to Ruby...should I tell him?"

Latrelle spoke seriously. "If you're ready to feel Isabella's wrath, go ahead."

"She doesn't scare me."

"Just letting you know. That girl gets angry," Latrelle warned.

Then Monse's phone vibrated. She took out her phone and read the text. It was Ruby texting from Jamal's phone.

She swallowed hard. What a coincidence. "Speaking of Ruby..."

Latrelle raised an eyebrow. "What about him? He texted you?"

"From Jamal's phone, yeah."

Latrelle put his pizza down and huffed. "What his broke ass want?"

"Monse, this is Ruby. Have you seen Cesar at all? I know you hate him but he's legit missing. No one has seen him, not even his brother," Monse read out loud.

"Oh..." is all Latrelle said.

"Oh? Latrelle, he's missing!" Monse exclaimed.

Latrelle wiped his hands and did his best to remain unsuspicious. "That's some scary shit, but I'm not going to sit here and pretend to shed a tear. Why do you even care anyway? You hate him."