21 | latrelle's weakness

❝ You just made yourself an enemy, Turner! ❞

You just made yourself an enemy, Turner!

Ruby grabbed his stuff and walked out of the history room. He had just finished presenting his essay and he did pretty well.

"Good job, Ruby!" Dave congratulated.

"Oh, thanks," Ruby replied.

Dave walked alongside him. "How you been? You know...with you not being the king anymore."

"Trust me Dave, I'm doing amazing," Ruby responded while looking in the distance. He saw Isabella at her locker. "I'll see you around, Dave."

Ruby walked up to his girl. "Bella?"

She glanced over at him and spoke blandly. "Hey."

"Hey? Is that all I get?" Ruby said mockingly, remembering that she said that when he first met Monse.

Isabella closed her locker with a shrug. "Pretty much."

"Woah...I wasn't expecting that answer."

"What were you expecting? Me to welcome you with open arms?" she retorted.

Ruby huffed. He knew exactly why she had an attitude. "Look, I know you're upset about my ma-"

Isabella cut him off. "Upset? I'm passed upset."

"Look, I'm pissed at her too. She was totally out of line for that."

"But you let her do it anyway."

"I did not! I was on your side! I was defending you!" Ruby replied.

"Barely! She made me look like a fool, Ruby!"

"I'm just as mad as you are, trust me. My ma's just trying to make me unhappy just like she is."

"Why?"

"Because she's lonely. My dad is always busy," Ruby explained.

Isabella rolled her eyes. "That gives her no reason to disrespect me."

"I know, Bella. I won't let her do it again. I promise." Ruby kissed her cheek. "I love you."

Isabella blushed. "I love you too."

"Get a room bitches," Latrelle spat as he walked past them. Isabella froze up. Ruby was going to say something to Latrelle, but she stopped him. "Please just let him be."

Ruby stared at her intently. "Are you okay? You look terrified!"

Isabella swallowed hard. "His presence..."

Ruby held her comfortingly. "Damn. Is this how awkward it is to see your exes?"

"Just don't challenge him Ruby, promise me," she pleaded.

"I won't. I know he's crazy."

"And his girlfriend..." Isabella began.

"Monse?"