31 | newest member

❝ PLEASE DON'T LET HIM KILL ME! I'M TOO YOUNG TO DIE! ❞

PLEASE DON'T LET HIM KILL ME! I'M TOO YOUNG TO DIE!

Sunday, the whole Turner family sat around the table eating lunch together, including Cesar. Everyone ate in silence, awkwardness looming in the air. It also didn't help that Mr. and Mrs. Turner stared at Cesar nonstop.

Jamal noticed that they hadn't averted their gazes off of Cesar, and it ticked him off. "You guys can stop staring at him now."

His parents quickly averted their gazes and fixated on their plates. Mr. Turner cleared his throat awkwardly. "Um, how's the food Cesar?"

"Way better than at home. Thank you," Cesar replied gratefully.

Everyone continued indulging in their meal. Jamal's parents couldn't help but stare at Cesar again. Cesar felt their gazes piercing through his skin. He didn't dare look up to meet their eyes though; he just focused on his food as he shifted in his seat uncomfortably.

Luckily for him, Jamal called his parents out. "Okay, what's up with you guys?"

"What are you talking about, honey?" Mrs. Turner questioned.

"You guys are acting like you've never seen Cesar before!"

"Look Jamal, this is just strange for us," Mr. Turner admitted.

"Then why did you agree?"

"Because you said that this was his only option. We're happy to help him," Mrs. Turner answered.

"So can you guys start acting like it?!" Jamal demanded.

"Jamal, it's fine," Cesar interjected.

"It's not!" Jamal disagreed. "They're acting like you're an escapee or something!"

"Well Jamal..." his father began. "...that's how it feels like. We have no idea what's going on."

"And you won't let us tell anyone that he's safe," Mrs. Turner added.

"It's for the best, trust me."

His mother shrugged and stood up while grabbing her plate. "Come help me clean up."

"Oh, I'll help!" Cesar offered, also standing up with his plate in his hands.

"Oh no son, you're the guest," Mr. Turner told him.

"Please, I insist. It's the least I can do since you guys were kind enough to let me stay here."

"Well...alright then," Mrs. Turner agreed. Cesar helped her clear the table. As they did so, the doorbell rang. Mr. Turner went to open the door and Ruby stood on the other side with a smile on his face.

"RUBY!"

"Oh hey, Mr. Turner!"

"What a pleasure it is to see you! Come in!" Mr. Turner opened the door wider and Ruby stepped inside. He closed the door and then faced Ruby. "I'm so glad that you and Jamal worked out your differences. You guys have been friends since forever."