37 | master plan

❝ What if I told you we could kill two birds with one stone? ❞

What if I told you we could kill two birds with one stone?

Thursday morning, Monse was sitting across from her dad eating breakfast. "This is delicious dad," she commented before taking another bite.

Monty was flattered. "I'm glad you like it. Any news on Latrelle?"

"No, they haven't found him yet."

"They need to find him asap. Who knows what he has planned next?"

Chills ran down Monse's spine. She really didn't want to think about Latrelle anymore or about the monstrous things he'd do if he ever found Cesar.

She played with her food awkwardly. Monty noticed her uncomfortableness. "Oh, I'm sorry, Monse. I know you loved him."

Monse looked up at him slowly. "I was dating a monster, dad. And everyone warned me."

"Honey, it's okay. Everyone makes mistakes."

Monse shook her head angrily. "That mistake could've cost me my life! He could've hurt me!"

Monty reached over the table to hold her hand. "Don't ever speak like that, Monse. Let's stay positive okay? The police are going to find him and this will all be over." Monse just nodded. "Help me clean up."

Monse grabbed her plate and rose from her chair. She was getting ready to head to the sink, but her feet were stuck in place. Her whole entire body tensed up.

Monty put his plate in the sink and looked confused. "Monse?" Then he followed her gaze and saw that she was focused on the tv.

There was a news reporter standing in the middle of the screen, but that's not what Monse was staring at. She was staring at Cesar.

"I'm here with Cesar Diaz. He went missing last Tuesday. He is safe and sound," the news reporter announced. "Is there anything you would like to say, Cesar?"

Cesar grabbed the microphone and spoke into the camera. "I just want to say thank you to everyone who prayed for my safe return. I am safe and I don't want anyone pitying me," Cesar started.

He started reading a quote from a slip of paper that he kept in his pocket. "I'm not a victim. No matter what I've been through, I'm still here. I have a history of victory," he quoted from Steve Maraboli.

The news reporter smiled at his inspiring words. "That was very meaningful. Thank you, Cesar Diaz."

Monty grabbed the remote and turned off the TV. Monse was still frozen in shock. "Honey, this is good news. Your friend is safe!"

"Yeah. I-I'll be back dad!"

She put her plate down and dashed to her room. When she got there, she closed the door and quickly called Ruby. He answered immediately and he sounded nervous.