48 | bittersweet

❝ Bad things happen to good people like Isabella, but hopefully bad things won't happen around here anymore ❞

Bad things happen to good people like Isabella, but hopefully bad things won't happen around here anymore

Sunday morning, Monse made her way down the stairs wondering if her dad was home. Based on the silence alone, she assumed he wasn't, but she had to make sure.

"Dad?" she called. She was met with the same silence. She shrugged it off and figured he left for work already.

Then the doorbell rung which made her narrow her eyes because she wasn't expecting anyone. She slowly walked towards the door and opened it. She was greeted by a very friendly face. "Cesar?"

"WE WON!" He picked her up and spun her around.

Monse giggled as she spun. She hit his back, indicating for him to put her down. When he did, she spoke. "Won what?"

"The war, babe. The Prophets surrendered."

Monse covered her mouth. "Oh my god!" She squealed and jumped up and down excitedly. "That's amazing, Cesar!"

"I can't wait to tell Ruby!"

"He'd love to know that YOU saved Freeridge!" Monse fiddled with his shirt. "I bet Spooky is so proud of you."

Cesar chuckled. "Yeah he is. All of the Santos keep calling me their boss though. I'm not sure how he feels about that."

Monse shrugged. "I doubt he cares after what you did. But are you sure the Prophets surrendered? What happens when Latrelle comes back?"

"Absolutely nothing," he quickly said. "The Prophets can't mess with us anymore. It's part of the pact."

"Pact?"

"When the Santos and the Prophets were first formed, they made a pact saying that whoever came out on top couldn't mess with the winner anymore. The losers were beneath the winners and they lost, Monse! No more violence!"

Monse clapped her hands together and squealed excitedly again. "Who knew such a shitty situation could make such a big difference?!"

"Yeah..." Cesar frowned. "I just wish Isabella could've lived to see it."

Monse frowned too. "How are we supposed to tell Ruby that she's dead?"

"That's the hard part."

Monse chewed on her lip. "They were supposed to have a happy ending just like us, but now they can't. It's not fair."

"I know baby. Bad things happen to good people like Isabella, but hopefully bad things won't happen around here anymore."

Monse nodded and put her arms around his neck. She praised him once again, so proud of him. "You're truly a hero for what you did."

"I did it for Ruby."

Monse kissed him on the cheek. "Let's go tell Jamal the good news."

『••✎••』