17 | ❛ that's the only way to be ❜

❝If I'm being honest, it felt kind of good

If I'm being honest, it felt kind of good. Does that make me dangerous?

Later that day, Cesar and Jamal were walking around together as they chatted about what happened at Cesar's party the night before.

"I can't believe he had the audacity to show up!" Jamal exclaimed.

"With his crew. Latrelle's different, Jamal. He's powerful now," Cesar warned.

"Yeah he must be if he had Spooky scared."

"We were outnumbered. That's the only reason why he's still alive," Cesar explained.

Jamal shrugged. "I'm still trying to figure out what his unfinished business is."

"I told you to stop."

"But why? Maybe we can send his ass back to juvie!"

"If Latrelle finds out you're snooping on him, what do you think he'll do?!"

Jamal thought about it. "Probably snap my neck."

"Exactly."

Jamal threw his hands up. "But it's worth a try!"

"No, Jamal. Stay out of it. I'll handle him."

Jamal looked at him confused. "You? How?"

"I'm officially a Santos."

Jamal's jaw dropped. Then he bursted out laughing, which annoyed Cesar. He spoke with an attitude. "Really?"

Jamal stopped laughing when he saw the sour look that Cesar was giving him. "Oh...you're serious. How on earth did that happen?!"

Cesar shrugged. "After what Latrelle did, Spooky said we need all hands on deck."

"Damn he must be really scared if he made you a Santos," Jamal commented, offending Cesar once again. He quickly apologized. "Sorry. But are you sure this is a good idea?"

"I don't have a choice, Jamal. Latrelle needs to be stopped."

"But-"

Cesar grabbed him by the shoulders. "You said it yourself, he has unfinished business. We need to shut him down."

"What about Monse?" Jamal asked.

"What about her?"

"I'm trying to help you out, Cesar. I'm trying to make her give you a chance, but if you're really in the gang...she's not going to like that."