It's Just a Hug

Requested by: @demon_multishipper
Reader: They/Them
AUs: N/A
Prompt: Bede gives you a hug, but with a twist...! ((Based on the Giving Hugs part from my Hugs scenario.))
Warnings: Tsudere Bede has to deal with feelings and the need to hug you.

——————————

"So no one has beaten your gym challenge yet?" You asked in awe, the Fairy type Gym Leader smiled with pride. He brushed his hand through his hair as he sat up straight.

"Of course, I'm just too strong for the challengers to beat," he kicked one leg over the other. "They just give up with the gym challenge all together, goes to show how the challengers are taking the whole thing as some kind of joke"

"Whoa..." You gawked. You looked at Bede with admiration, he was really strong and it never failed to impress you when he spoke about it. You didn't mind Bede showing off to you, you found it cute in some way. And you weren't dense about his constant need of approval, even if he won't admit himself. You were glad that he found himself comfortable enough to talk to you about these kinds of things so easily.

"So what about you, how's the Champion of Galar doing lately?" He asked, a playful tone to his question. You tilted your head a bit as you thought for a second.

"Well... I've been mostly training if that's what you're asking. I haven't done much aside from coming to visit you really," you replied truthfully. Bede looked at you, a little surprised that he was the only person you really spent time with. It flattered him.

"You haven't been doing anything else?" You shook your head no. "No visits? No signing panels or anything of the sort?"

"No... it's too overwhelming for me, but I do give out signatures if people ask" you mumbled.

"You must be Galar's shyest Champion yet"

"Yeah...."

"Do you plan on staying at Ballonlea tonight?" Bede asked. He noticed that it was getting late, part of him hoped that you would stay the night just so you two could hang out longer. Against his will, Bede had became rather close to you. You were kind and playful, he enjoyed your personality.

"No... I'm not planning to, why?" You replied, your head resting on your arms as you looked at him.

"It's already late" Bede pointed to one of the clocks on the wall. You looked over to the digital clock, taking a second to process the numbers before standing up abruptly.

"WHAT" Bede just stifled a laugh. "Ahhhh, I have to get going. Nooooo!"

Bede watched as you scrambled to grab your bag. Part of him not wanting you to leave just yet. If Bede was being honest, he had gotten pretty attached to you. In the sense that he found himself genuinely looking forward to your visits and text messages. Aside from Opal, he wasn't as nearly close to anyone else.

Growing up in the foster system and going through several bad homes he learned to keep his guard up. Not once was he shown kindness, he always have to fend for himself. It was survival of the fittest. But when he met Chairman Rose, he thought he found someone kind. His guard was let down and that was the last time he promised to let anyone in. And then you came along. Sure, you both didn't get along when you met and he didn't blame you. His rude remarks and cruel words always pushed your buttons which led to you both bickering mid battle. (He wished he was kinder to you back then.) But after the Chairman revoked his endorsement, you didn't ridicule him nor did you say "served you right!" Instead, you held his hand and showed him kindness. Scared, he ran away. Then he met Opal, whom he hated at first. But after some time, he grew to love her like a grandmother. She helped him when it felt like his whole world crashed into him.

"I had fun hanging out with you Bede! I'll stop by Saturday to say hi!" You beamed, you held your bike up. Bede nodded, watching as you turned your back with one last wave. The sun was starting to set, and the forest seemed to get darker. You took a deep breath and decided that maybe you should call a flying cab instead. Before you could pull out your town map you felt a pair of arms snake around your waist carefully. "Hm?"

You looked back to see Bede hugging you, his face buried into your back as his ears burned red. He mumbled softly, something you barely caught.

"Call a cab, it's dangerous to rude your bike at night," Bede's voice was soft. You smiled, twisting your body to return the hug to the best of your abilities. Your arm wrapped around him, squeezing him slightly as you nodded in agreement.

"You're right, I'll go call one right now," Bede let you go, hesitating greatly. You were warm, and your hugs were kind. He didn't want to let go but he didn't want to seem clingy either. His face was flushed and he was actively avoiding eye contact with you.

"Good, I don't want the Champion getting injured over something so dumb," he scoffed, trying to play off the hug he gave you.

You laughed. Bede covered his mouth with his hand, doing his best not show his own amusement.

The cab came quicker than anticipated, and you offering Bede one last hug before you left. His face burned red as he tried to run away from embarrassment. You caught him in your hug, lifting him slightly as you held him tightly. He reluctantly hugged you back, making you smile. With one last wave you were off.

Until Saturday that is.

BONUS:

"Hey Bede! I'm here- Oof!" You could barely finish your sentence before you were suddenly tackled into a bear hug. This time, Bede was the one to lift you up as he embraced you. For such a frail looking guy, he was surprisingly strong. A smirk appeared on your face as you decided to tease him a bit, "Did you miss me this much?"

Bede suddenly let you go, his arms crossed as he glared at you. The pink of cheeks showing his embarrassment. "N-no. That was just pay back, for last time"

"Pay back? For what?" You mused, edging near him as an idea formed in your head. You suddenly grabbed him, lifting him up in another hug. "For this?"

Let's just say, that visit was full of pay backs.

——————————