37. "hello"

"how many weeks are you jen?"
"36" jen replied as the midwife put the cold gel on her now huge, swollen belly.
The midwife checks everything and writes a couple of notes on jens chart.
"everything seems good" she smiled handing a tissue to jen to wipe her stomach. "the babies are however a little smaller than we would've hoped at this stage but it shouldn't be too much of an issue because your probably not going to make it full term, not many women with twins do. The babies are already starting to reposition themselves"
At this news jens heart does a nervous back flip.
"how soon do you think?" justin asks
"honestly it's hard to tell but I'd say anytime from now till Friday"
"but that's 4 days" jen says slightly worried as she realises that she has nothing ready for the birth.
"I know but all you can do is relax as much as you can and just wait for it to happen"
"thankyou" justin smiles as jen starts putting her jacket on.

The car ride is silent as they both think about how soon the babies are going to be here and how different and challenging their lives will become.
"we need to pack the hospital bag" jen says as they pull into the driveway, breaking the silence.
"yeah...have we got everything or should I nip to the store?"
"err I think we only need to get some smaller diapers and extra wipes but everything else is sorted" jen says as she opens her door.
"i might as well go now then" justin said, rolling the window down to talk to jen "I'll be back as soon as I can" and with that he pulled out of the driveway.
Recently jen had felt that her and justin were slightly drifting apart and she wasn't even sure why, but she had an idea that it was because they were so nervous about having three kids to look after soon.

Jen walked into the silent home.
"dad?" she called putting her bag on the kitchen island.
She heard no reply so she slowly heaved herself up the stairs to find Jack and her dad playing with the toys in the playroom.
"hi mama"
"hi sweetie, hi dad" she sighed as she slowly lowered herself to the ground next to him
"hi hun, you tired?"
"very" she said as she closed her eyes.
"what did the midwife say?"
"that we should expect them to arrive anytime now"
"Where's justin?"
"oh he just nipped to the store to get some last minute things for the hospital bag" jen said opening her eyes again and looking at jackson as he drove one of his toy cars over her stomach.
They all played with Jack in the playroom until justin got home when jen got up to get the hospital bag sorted. She double and triple checked that she'd packed all the clothes they'd need, diapers, creams, pacifiers. Everything.
"mommy? Jack wants to go to aunt ceces house" justin says as he walks in, carrying Jackson. He looks at jen with a sympathetic look "I did tell him you might be too tired"
"no no it's fine" she sighed "I could do with one of aunt ceces virgin martinis anyway"
Jackson cheers as justin puts him down telling him to go let grandpa put his shoes on.
"are you sure you're ok with going"
"yes" jen replies shortly as justin wraps his arms around her.
They stay in the embrace until jens dad interrupts.
"hi sorry guys, but I'm gonna get going. Sherry's making tea tonight"
"Ok bye dad. Thanks for watching Jack" jen said as she walked him to the front door.

Once everyone was ready and Jack was in the stroller they started walking to courteneys which was only down a small trail by their house then across the road. Justin pushed Jackson who was playing with his cars still while jen walked beside.
There were only two paps when they left which was a nice change because there are normally at least 5.
"Court?" jen shouted as she opened the front door.
"out here" she called from by the pool.
Jen walked straight out, leaving justin to get Jack out of the stroller.
"hey" jen smiled as she sat down.
"wow"
"what?" jen asked confused
"your huge"
"thanks" jen said sarcastically.
"I'm sorry" courteney laughed "but I still find it hard to get used to you with a big stomach"
"even after Jack?"
"with Jack you weren't actually that big, I was bigger with coco. But twins you're like double the size"
"well that's kinda how it goes" jen laughed.
"hi justin" courteney smiled as justin sat down.
"hi, Jack's upstairs with coco, thanks for helping me with the stroller babe" he smiled sarcastically at jen.
Courteney could practically see the icy tension between them. Jen didn't even look at justin she just kept watching the ocean.
"jen come help me make some drinks" courteney said practically dragging her up "we'll only be a minute justin"
"right so are you gonna tell me what's going on between you two" she asks as they get to the kitchen.
"trust me if I could I would" jen laughed awkwardly.
"is it stress do you think?" she asked handing jen a lemon to squeeze into her glass
"no...maybe...oh I don't know"
"talk to him, trust me it helps" said courteney as they carried their drinks out.
They sit in silence, all sipping their drinks, listening to Jack and coco laughing upstairs.
Suddenly jen starts to feel more movement and a slight twinge of pain.
She didn't think anyone noticed as she winced.
"what's wrong?" asked justin
"nothing" she said rubbing her stomach.
Justin didn't say anything else but watched her fiercely as she winced again a few moments later.
"jen"
"mhh?" she said turning to court pretending she didn't know what they were on about
"jen what's wrong?"
"nothing it's just a little uncomfortable that's all"
"but your not due for another month at least. Its only.... May 1st" said courteney worriedly checking her phone.
"oh yeah I forgot to tell you, they told me I wasn't going to make it full term and that I should be prepared for them coming any day now"
"what?! Why didn't you tell me? No, why did you walk here? You know that's just gonna make them come quicker"
"honestly Court? I feel and look like a whale, I want them to come sooner"
This whole time justin just watched jen, watching for any more signs of pain.
As jen winced again he got up
"come on jen, we should head back."
"ugh fine" she sighed heaving herself up.
"Jack! come on were going home now" justin called.
"bye sweetie, call me if anything happens"
"I will" she replied giving her a strong hug
"and let me know how your conversation goes" she whispers in her ear.
jen just smiles as she pulls away and walks out the door.