Ode To The Overrated One (Beck Oliver Oneshot)

Strap yourselves in, it's gonna be a long one at 1711 words! As I noticed that we don't get much backstory from Beck, I decided to make my own. Tell me if you'd like me to write more backstories!

You're walking down the hall to get Beck and Cat for lunch - mm, lukewarm French fries - when you hear a frenzy of giggles. You peer round the corner and sigh exasperatedly at the sight of Beck surrounded by a gaggle of girls who, surprise surprise, are all playing with his hair. In the middle of it all Beck looks as usual charmed by this attention, his mouth set in that small smile that has become synonymous with the young man.

After a while of watching women drool over your friend your stomach growls to remind you it's hungry, and you adjust your baseball cap and clap your hands loudly. The girls look over at you startled, which turns into irritation as you motion for them to shoo and they grudgingly all agree. Beck breathes a sigh of relief and smiles at you, miming wiping sweat off his forehead.

"I think they're still really excited that me and Jade broke up," he comments and you chuckle and start tugging him in the direction of the food court.

On the way Beck talks aloud to both you and himself.
"Why do you think they like me, Y/N? I mean, yeah, I'm hot, but... is that it? Why does everyone seem to just run at my feet whenever I walk in?"
"Probably because you're hot, Beck," you reply, not focusing because of your hunger - and thus not realising that Beck has stopped talking and is standing still, letting go of your hand. When you realise you look back and your mouth forms an 'O' in confusion. You're hungry; you don't need this right now, especially not from one of the most laid back guys you've ever met.

"What do you mean I'm... hot?" he asks, and you roll your eyes.
"Beck, you're undeniably hot, okay? Are we done? You have a tiny friend here who is about to starve to death and you're playing games!"

Beck's brows pull together and he stays where he is.
"Okay, I'm hot, but what about everything else?"

And then you say what kicks everything off:

"Yeah, what about everything else?"

Beck's brows fly right up and his expression turns into one of anger and hurt mixed together in an honestly terrifying face coming from Beck. You take a step back, your cap shifting on your head, not knowing what's happening, and he opens his mouth wide ready to shout louder than all the students milling about combined.

"I AM MORE THAN JUST A PRETTY BOY Y/N!"

And he storms off as quick as lightning, leaving you standing in the hall with your mouth agape as students look at you shocked, completely gobsmacked.

Did Beck Oliver just yell at someone?

Instantly concerned, you adjust your cap and start to rush about, peeping into each room and looking round every corner to try to find your friend. You have no idea what just happened, but you know you definitely have to find Beck.

~

It takes about twenty minutes but you finally find Beck, in the corner of the utility closet sitting with his knees up to his slim chest and his head bent so far it looks like it could just be a plume of hair moping in a small dingy room.

You bite your lip in guilt and walk up to him. When you talk you try to sound softer:

"Hey Beck. You okay?"

The plume of chestnut hair rises and you can see Beck looking tired and sad, shocking you again as you've never seen him like this. Not even when he broke up with Jade. A wave of empathetic sadness comes over you and you kneel opposite him. He watches you sit and says nothing, just watches you get as comfortable as you can.