Chapter 1 🍒

"I'm sorry ma'am but I can't do that, it's against cafe policy" I say with the most plastic smile slapped across my face, looking at a middle aged woman and a man I assume to be her son. She stands there with a dumbfounded expression, the woman somehow shocked at the fact I can't give her a refund because she dropped her coffee after she left the cafe. You can clearly see how uncomfortable the man feels, his cheeks practically two large tomatoes as he nudges the woman and mumbles, "come on mum let's just go, she can't do anything". He mouths a 'sorry' to me and I give him an understanding nod.

"No, no, no, this is unacceptable - I want to speak to the manager now" she commands. I'd be annoyed, but we get this kind of customer several times a day. "One moment" I say, keeping my exaggerated smile. The woman crosses her arms in frustration as she impatiently taps her foot. The man still desperately trying to get her to leave.

"Jemmaaaaaa, I have a lovely customer wanting your honourable presence!" Jemma is a nice manager, we have a really good and friendly relationship, it helps that I'm probably her most reliable employee. She's the kind of manager you could go for a meal with, or just hang out with in general - not that I would though. As much as I get complimented by my customer service skills and friendly personality, I am not a people person. Anything even remotely social is not my thing, a fake serving smile and positive attitude at a small corner cafe can fool anyone.

Jemma groans as she drags herself over, doing what I do and slapping on a smile before opening the door that separates the back from the cafe, winking at me before turning to the woman. "What seems to be the problem?" Jemma asks as I go over and begin clearing up a table from a group of eight.

"I need a refund, my coffee was knocked over so it's not fair I wasted my money, I know you refund for spillages because Sarah was telling me how that happened to her a few days ago" the woman rambled. "Sorry about that, where was the spillage? Just so I can get one of my employees to clean it up". Jemma already knows the woman is up her own arse.

"Oh you see it was actually down the street a few minutes so I don't think that's necessary" the woman explains, calming down as she thinks Jemma is on her side. "I'm sorry, what?" Jemma's eyes watering as she holds back a laugh. The woman repeats herself.

"Sorry ma'am but our policy states that once you have left the cafe we hold no responsibility, we only offer refunds or replacement drinks if the drink is spilled by one of our employees within the cafe" Jemma states as if reading it straight out of the policy booklet you receive on the first day - nobody actually reads it, just as long as your aware of the important parts, Jemma doesn't mind.

"I'm going to report you! And I'll sue the cafe!" The woman storms out with her son trailing awkwardly behind. "Thank you, have a nice day" Jemma calls casually as the door slams shut. There were a mix of reactions from awkward stops is conversations to people barely holding it together with there phones out recording, but as quick as it all started, every customer went back to normal as if nothing happened. After I cleared some tables, I went back to the till.

"Good afternoon how may I help?" I ask flipping open my notebook and looking up only to meet a pair of piercing green eyes. I'm taken aback for a brief moment but I snap back to reality pretty instantly.

The man smirks as he orders, "I'll have a large cappuccino thanks" he says, practically oozing confidence.

I could never.

"Anything else sir?" I say with my usual fake smile, though I notice one of my dimples pop, that doesn't usually happen with my fake smiles. I choose to ignore it, it's probably just because it's almost the end of my shift. "That's all thanks..." he pauses as he leans down on his hands on the counter and peers down at my name badge, "...Melanie"