Chapter 3. Part II

First, I want to say sorry for uploading the second part so late after the first one.
We're still at the Wesley's, right after Harry, Ron and Hermione's talk about Narcissa's offer.

Second, enjoy! ^^

Soon after that, Ron started to yawn and complain like he usually did when he was very tired. Harry shooed him to bed, telling him he’ll be up as well in a bit. 

Hermione watched their short interaction, lost in thought. She was thinking about the whole situation, debating whether she should have told them the other reason why she accepted the ‘Malfoy challenge’: Draco Malfoy himself. For some reason, she felt she couldn’t be fully honest with her friends, or could she?

Turning away from Ron, who was just leaving the room, Harry saw Hermione looking as if she was thinking hard about something. He frowned. He didn’t want to push Hermione into telling him what was wrong, but, in the same time, he wanted to know if it had anything to do with the whole Malfoy situation. Seeing her hesitate made him feel it was more to it than she let on. 

Trusting their friendship of many years, Harry plucked up his courage and leaned closer to Hermione. 

,,Hermione” he called her in a low voice, but still managing to startle her out of her thoughts. ,,Now that it’s just the two of us, please be honest with me. What is the other reason why you decided to accept Narcissa’s offer? I know you, or at least I think I do. Something must have happened to make you decide so quickly and to be so adamant about it.”

Hermione was looking at him intensely. She knew he had a better insight than he let on, especially when it came to her hiding things; that, and the fact that she wasn’t very good at hiding things from him. In a moment she realized it was useless to try and keep it from him. Harry Potter’s greatest weakness was his curiosity. He’ll end up pestering her to tell him until she would either give in or curse him into oblivion. 

,,Alright” she said with a deep sigh, closing her eyes and leaning back. ,,I saw Draco a couple of weeks ago, before Narcissa came to visit you. He was brought to St. Mungo’s feeling really sick, apparently he took too much potion for dreamless sleep”.

,,Is he that big of an idiot?” Harry interrupted her, eyes wide in amazement.

,,Apparently yes” Hermione said, opening her eyes. ,,Everyone in the wizarding world knows that if you take too many doses, the potion that is supposed to help you sleep soundly without dreams, ends up becoming a poison.”

Hermione silently reached for her cup to sip a bit of coffee. It was cold, but still tasted good. 

,,Ok, so the stupid git really wanted to sleep, and he ended up taking one too many potions. What of it?” Harry said briskly. 

,,Well, his wish was far from being realized. He couldn’t sleep properly for days because of the treatment” Hermione said, starring inside her cup.

,,That’s unlucky” Harry said, faking concern.

,,More for the ones who had to deal with him” Hermione sighed. 

,,It’s always unlucky for those who must deal with Malfoy. He’s not the best cupcake there is.” Harry said grudgingly. 

,,Anyway,” Hermione continued, ignoring Harry’s last remark ,,I found out about all of this mostly by accident. The healer who was in charge of him, Philippa, is a friend of mine. She knew Draco and I had been colleagues at school and asked me for help.”

,,To kill him?” Harry interjected in a hopeful tone.

,,No, to contain him.” Hermione replied shooting Harry a scolding look. ,,Apparently Malfoy was making such a ruckus that it was impossible to treat him properly.”