Chapter 18

Hermione had started going out almost on a daily basis, but just for a couple of hours. She apparently decided to help the man called Caleb. He had indeed been one of her patients two years ago, but apparently things weren't going so well for him and his son. Caleb, for some reason, always asked to see her in different locations in town, never in the same place twice, and he always came alone without Tom. At first, she found that strange and wanted to ask him about it, but she soon changed her mind. She thought he might be hiding from someone but didn't want to pry, so until he decided to tell her what was going on, she didn't ask. If she were honest, it was better that way. It wasn't like going to Draco's flat was an option, after all, and her office at the hospital didn't seem to make Caleb feel too comfortable, either.

Their current counseling meeting was in Diagon Alley and things had been going better. Caleb opened up more and talked about what had happened in the last two years. Apparently, he managed to find a job at a menagerie shop there in Diagon Alley and things appeared to go well. But then he started having nightmares again and panic attacks every time he had to go to work. He had a feeling he was being watched and that someone was following him every time he left the house. Whether that was actually true or not, Hermione could not say. What she could assert, though, was that Caleb indeed seemed pretty shaken up by something. Whether it was the dreams or fears from the past or some strange thing happening in the present, that wasn't sure.

That day, Hermione decided a different approach. Instead of talking to Caleb about himself she decided to turn the conversation towards his son. That always seemed to make him feel slightly better.

,,How is dear Tom?" she asked, smiling softly. ,,I do miss him. Maybe you can bring him along next time we meet?"

,,He is well, miss." Caleb said, returning the smile as he thought fondly of his son. ,,He is growing up well. I decided to send him from home for a while. You know, until I get better. I don't want him to see me like this. There is an aunt who lives in the countryside, not far from London, and I sent him there two days ago."

,,That's nice. I am pretty sure he will enjoy his time there. The countryside air will do him good." Hermione nodded in approval.

,,Yes. Those were my thoughts as well, miss."

,,Please, call me Hermione." she said, leaning back in her chair casually. ,,We've known each other for some time now, Caleb and I wish we could be friendly to each other."

,,S-sure, mi... Hermione" he said finally, a lopsided smile appearing on his face.

Hermione smiled approvingly and sipped from her tea. The tea shop they were in was rather empty, but she didn't mind. She found herself feeling rather uncomfortable around crowds or loud people. She enjoyed the peace and quiet a place like the one she was in offered her.

,,Hermione, can I ask you something?" Caleb said suddenly, shaking Hermione out of her thoughts.

,,Yes, of course." she said in a pleasant tone.

,,Who was the man you were with? When I saw you at the hospital there was a tall, blonde man standing next to you. You two seemed close."

,,Close? Not at all" Hermione laughed and waved a hand in the air. ,,We've known each other since we were 11 but we are far from being close."

Or are we close now? Sure, we could be called something at this point, right? Acquaintance or even friends... That might not be all bad. I am his counselor, after all, and being on a friendly basis would help enormously with my task, right?

The thought nagged at her mind for a moment. She grudgingly had to admit that they had gotten closer since they moved in together and, even if they were far from being the best of friends, at least they stopped being at each other's throats. Draco's behavior towards her had improved slowly since her nightmare and, for some reason, he felt more attentive towards her. They also had continued having breakfast together almost every morning, and to her surprise, she started to enjoy his company. Draco could be pleasant when he wanted.