Chapter 24

,,DRACO!" a voice bellowed from behind him.

As Draco turned swiftly to see who it was, he saw a flash of green light and a dark figure falling, crumpling at his feet. At the sight of it his insides went cold, as if he had chugged an entire barrel of icy cold water.

His eyes went straight to the face of the figure and he froze in place, mouth opened in a soundless scream. The lifeless eyes staring back at him were his father's. Lucius Malfoy was dead, killed while trying to save his son.

,,No" Draco murmured, choking on air, feeling his legs failing to support him. ,,No, you were supposed to be bad. You were supposed to hate me. I was supposed to hate you forever."

Hermione reached Draco just in time. A Death Eater was coming up behind him, sneering as he raised his wand. Feeling her blood boil from all the frustration she had accumulated while being unable to move, she shouted 'Stupefy', sending the Death Eater flying a few feet away from them. She turned around and did the same to another one who was just about to cast a killing curse in the direction of an Auror.

,,Hermione" Harry said breathlessly, reaching her and stopping to catch his breath.

He had several small cuts across his face and arms, but other than that he looked unharmed. Hermione let out a sigh of relief.

,,Hermione, take him away from here. Take both of them away." Harry said gesturing towards Draco and Lucius's lifeless body. ,,Apparate to St. Mungo's. I've made sure anyone of us can get there directly."

,,But what about you? There are still so many of them."

,,I'll be fine. We can deal with them, don't worry. You just get yourself to safety!" Harry urged, getting ready to enter the battle again. ,,And Hermione," he said quickly as if he remembered something. ,,Take care of him, make sure he doesn't do anything stupid." He finished grimly, gesturing towards Draco.

,,Alright." Hermione reluctantly agreed. ,,Take care of yourself Harry. Don't try to play the hero." she finished with a small smile.

,,I don't have to. I already am one." Harry replied with a wide grin. ,,Now go!"

He ushered her to leave and then turned his back on the small group, going back into the battle, calling on his Aurors and trying to organize them around him.

Hermione took one more look at her best friend before grabbing Draco by the arm, her other hand touching Lucius's chest. She Apparated them straight into the hospital.

Draco, who seemed oblivious to what was going on around him, stared around for a moment, confused as to why there were so many people bustling around him. Then, everything came back to him and he jumped to his feet, turning on the spot, frantically searching for a certain someone. He saw her talking to a healer, just a few feet away from him. He didn't even notice his father being taken away, he just went straight for Hermione, grabbing her from behind, keeping her close to him.

,,Draco..." she let out, startled by the sudden touch. She tried turning around but was unable to move in the tight embrace he was giving her.

,,You're alright. You're alright..." Draco kept saying under his breath, hugging her tighter and tighter.

,,Yes, I am alright. You don't have to worry about me. But, Draco, your father... he... he's..." but Hermione wasn't able to finish. She felt Draco's arms slackening their grip. He slid down and his body touched the cold floor with a thud.

,,Draco!" Hermione shouted, turning around she saw him sprawled on the floor.

The healers instantly gathered around and took him to a private ward.