Chapter 11

Continuing Draco and Hermione's interaction at the bar ^~

Realizing Hermione wasn't going to go home any time soon, Draco decided to go along with it. It had been a far more interesting evening following her around than he would have had back at the flat, doing nothing. He, therefore, did the only sensible thing he could do: he ordered himself another firewiskey. Hermione eyed him quizzically but didn't say anything.

,,What are you doing, Granger?", Draco asked out of the blue, making Hermione's eyebrows rise.

,,Have you gone blind, Malfoy? Can't you see what I'm doing?" she said sarcastically, shaking her glass in front of his eyes.

,,I believe that would be obvious even for a blind person, Granger, judging by the way you talk and how your tongue rolls the words around" Draco said, rolling his eyes at her. ,,I meant what are you doing HERE? Why did you go out drinking, by yourself?"

Hermione regarded him for a moment. At first, she had thought about mocking him still more, but, for some reason, his curiosity seemed slightly more than just a motive to sneer at her. He looked as if he genuinely wanted to know the reason behind her actions. Though, she couldn't be sure about that, she was, after all, quite tipsy and her mind might be playing tricks on her.

All this time, Draco stared back at her, trying to figure out what might be going on underneath that bushy hair of hers. She looked as if she was thinking hard about something.

,,Why do you care, Malfoy?" she finally asked after a while.

,,I don't" Draco replied simply, his honesty striking her into an almost sober state of mind. ,,I was feeling bored back at the flat and, as you were proving to be a far better entertainment than an empty house, I decided to follow you out".

,,The great Draco Malfoy, bored out of his wits, enough to follow ... ME around?" she asked incredulously, forgetting all about her drink and turning on her chair to fully face Draco.

Draco almost flinched at the last. For a split second he thought she was about to say the word mudblood. When she didn't, he felt relieved, letting out a quiet breath. He knew that hearing the word from her mouth, addressed to herself no less, would make him feel worse about himself. He still regretted calling her that at the hospital and even during the years they've spent at Hogwarts. The slurs he threw at her weren't something to be proud of and, cowardly as it was, he was trying very hard not to think about it very often.

,,Well?" Hermione probed, jerking him out of his thoughts. Apparently, he was doing that often these days, losing himself in his thoughts.

,,Well, I was right, wasn't I?" he told her, ignoring her question, as well as her gaze. ,,You did offer a better spectacle than I would have had at home".

Hermione grimaced.

How silly of me, thinking I would get a serious answer out of this prat. She thought annoyedly.

,,Glad to be of service" she said aloud, sarcastically raising her glass to him and taking a sip. ,,Always glad to help", she finished quietly.

A few moments of silence followed Hermione's words. They both focused on their glasses, ignoring each other, then Draco spoke, startling Hermione slightly.

,,What was with the juice?"

,,You have awfully many questions tonight, Malfoy" Hermione grunted. ,,Did someone put you something in that drink?" she gestured towards his glass.

,,Yes, well, I am a very curious person. So, do both of us a favor and just answer my question".

,,Both of us?" Hermione faked surprise. ,,What favor would I be doing myself if I answered your stupid question?"