Chapter 26

Draco made a point of ignoring Hermione and anything related to her. As soon as he got out of the hospital he moved in with his mother.

It was early morning when he got home, startling Narcissa when he came flying into the house.

,,Draco!" she breathed out, lowering the teacup she was holding. ,,What happened?"

,,I'll tell you later, mother. Now I have something important I have to do. Where is he?"

,,Upstairs, in his study." Narcissa replied calmly.

As soon as Harry Potter sent her an owl, telling her what has happened, she knew Draco would come asking questions. Therefore, she knew exactly who Draco was referring to. After learning of Lucius's death, she'd ordered for a real sized painting to be placed upstairs in his study, while she kept a smaller one in the sitting room. Even though they hardly expressed their feelings for each other, Narcissa loved her husband and she knew he loved her in return. Therefore, it was only natural to want him there with her.

Draco jumped two steps at a time, reaching his father's study in a few seconds. He pushed the door open and entered the room, instantly looking up. On an empty wall hanged a painting of his father, portraying him just as Draco remembered: proud, arrogant and intimidating. Despite that, Draco noticed the sleeping figure in the painting was looking calmer and more peaceful than Draco had ever seen him before. He took a deep breath and took a sit, facing the painting. He cleared his throat loudly, hoping it would be enough to wake his father. This whole thing made him feel nervous. It wasn't the first time talking to a painting representing a known family member, he used to do that a lot back at the Manor, but it felt somewhat strange to be doing that with his own father, especially after all that has happened between them.

Lucius's form stirred in his majestic leather armchair, his eyes fluttering open. He saw Draco lounging in a chair in front of his painting, arms crossed and a crease between his eyebrows.

,,So you're here." he said slowly.

Draco simply nodded. He felt his throat tightening, making it difficult to speak.

,,What do you want to know first?" Lucius asked matter-of-factly.

Draco thought for a moment, his emotions battling inside him. Eventually he decided his priority should be catching McKinley and avoiding anyone else getting hurt by the surviving Death Eaters. Personal questions must wait until this was all over.

,,Tell me what you know about McKinley and his followers. What did they want with Granger and why were they using you?"

A flash of surprise crossed on Lucius's face. He surveyed his son for a while with his cold grey eyes, before answering slowly, in a low voice.

,,He wanted to use the girl in order to get to Potter and the rest of those who helped defeat the Dark Lord. He also blamed us, blamed me, for betraying the Dark Lord. You see, he was unhappy that, unlike the others, we were not arrested." At this Lucius smirked viciously. ,,McKinley saw himself the equal of us. Even though, he had been a low-ranking follower, he somehow believed that following in the Dark Lord's footsteps now that he was gone made him superior."

,,What a load of shit." Draco spit out, disgust all over his face.

,,Yes, my thoughts exactly." Lucius drawled, looking down at his son intently. ,,That is precisely why I decided to get rid of him. But, for that, I had to get him to trust me."

,,Is this why you left me that note?" Draco asked despite himself.

,,Yes." Lucius frowned. ,,I knew that if you found out what they were planning you'd probably do something stupid. In order for my plan to work I had to gain their trust, and for that I had to bring her to them. That's why I used that Caleb man to get her to me first. I never expected her to be so feisty, though." Lucius finished with evident displeasure.