Chapter 5

I'm sorry for being so very late with the update on the story. It's been a busy time and I also wanted to make sure I have the plot all figured out before continuing the updates. Now it's all clear and I hope I won't have to keep you all waiting for so long ^^ Enjoy!

After Hermione left, Draco and Narcissa remained for a few more moments in the weird kind of embrace Hermione had left them in. They both seemed unable to speak. Then suddenly, as if he awoke from a dream, Draco's brain started to function again.

,,What... had just happened?" he asked his mom, slowly removing himself from her arms. ,,What was that... all about?"

Without answering or even looking at her son, Narcissa turned and went to the window. She stayed there for a few moments, looking at the sky. It was a clear blue, much like her own eyes. She sighed.

,,What happened and what did she mean about what she said? What proposal did she accept?" Draco kept asking, still looking a bit dazed but stubbornness and curiosity being stronger than the trance.

Narcissa let out another sigh before turning to Draco. She regarded him for a second, then decided it was best to sooth his curiosity at least a little bit or else she knew she wouldn't have a moment's peace. That was her Draco, stubborn to the core.

,,I suspect she used the Depulso charm" she replied slowly, crossing her arms and leaning against the window frame. ,,A strong one at that" she continued ,,I told you not to anger her more than you already had.

,,Me... me anger HER?" Draco asked in disbelief.

He looked his mother in the eye. She seemed calm and almost relaxed, the way she leaned her body against the window frame, keeping her arms crossed just slightly, in a most elegant way. His mother had a way of looking elegant regardless of the situation. But staring now at her, trying to pierce that armor of cold calmness she had placed on her features, Draco was sure something more was going on. His mother was hiding something from him and, even though he wasn't worried that it was something that would potentially be harmful to him, he was still having a feeling he might not like it. Therefore, he set his mind to finding out what that was.

Better know the evil you're about to face than have a blind date with it, he thought to himself.

The problem was how was he supposed to find out. Would she tell him if he asked her? Draco knew his mother well enough to know that it would be most likely impossible to find out if she didn't want to say it. Then, he's only solution was to take the roundabout way.

,,What right did she have to get angry." he said in a low growl, turning away from his mother slightly.

,,She had every right and if you ask me, I think you should consider yourself lucky she decided to use a rather harmless spell like Depulso instead of something dreadful, like a transfiguration curse."

Draco scoffed. Narcissa ignored it, but a small frown appeared again between her eyebrows.

,,She was, after all, one that wreaked havoc among the Death Eaters and the rest of Voldemort's remaining followers during the war and after. She and Harry Potter were the ones who, single-handedly, caught more dark wizards than any other people I know of."

At that Draco frowned and scoffed again, more affectedly this time. Narcissa couldn't ignore this one.

,,You may not believe me" she said, lowering her hands and pushing away from the window, ,,but I think we're lucky she decided to accept my proposal instead of simply jinxing you in the afterlife." Narcissa finished with a satisfied look.

There it was. She had said it herself. Draco felt both relieved and surprised that he didn't have to prod her more on the subject or having to hearing more praises of the witch he hated most, in order to find out.