Chapter 16

Next morning, Hermione was banging at Draco's door, calling for him to open up.

,,I'm coming, I'm coming. What in Merlin's name is this ruckus about, Granger?" Draco flung the door open and crossed his arms, staring down at Hermione.

,,Get dressed, Malfoy. We're going out" Hermione told him, not batting an eye at his frowning expression.

Draco's frown transformed into a smirk with the speed of light.

,,Why Granger, I am already dressed, or do you imagine me naked?"

Hermione laughed despite herself.

,,Dress nicely" Hermione punctuated the word with a pointed look. ,,The Principal Healer in charge of your case has asked me to bring you in for a checkup" she said, flaunting a piece of parchment in front of his eyes.

,,We're going to St. Mungo's?" Draco asked surprised, leaving his smirk behind.

,,Yes." Hermione replied shortly. ,,That is, if you deign to change your outfit and come to breakfast."

Breakfast? Draco thought, his eyebrows shooting up.

,,Are we to have breakfast together now?" he asked in honest surprise.

,,Yes. I believe it's about time we stop hiding in our rooms and start interacting more."

,,Hey, I'm not hiding!" Draco exclaimed indignantly.

,,Then I am" Hermione said rolling her eyes. ,,Just come and eat. We have to be there by 10."

And with that she turned on her heels and walked towards the kitchen. Draco stood for a moment, then stalked after her. This wasn't something he looked forward to, but perhaps not eating alone for once might not be all that bad. After all, they had been sharing the same living space for over a month now. They weren't friends, sure, but they weren't exactly strangers either.

,,I thought I told you to change your clothes" Hermione said as soon as she saw him entering the kitchen.

,,Eating breakfast all dressed up isn't exactly my style" Draco replied with another one of his trademark smirks.

Hermione's eyes narrowed dangerously, but she decided to remain silent. Instead, she busied herself with the frying pan she had on the gas cooker.

So she cooks in the muggle way. I always imagined her using magic for everything and showing off how good she is at it. Draco thought to himself.

At that moment, a waft of omelette reached him. He closed his eyes, sniffing deeply. Until then, he didn't realize just how hungry he was or how much he missed freshly cooked food.

Just as he was opening his eyes, he found himself being stared at by a pair of yellow, narrow eyes, surrounded by fluffy ginger fur.

,,What the..." Draco yelped, leaning back into his chair so violently that he almost fell over. ,,What's this monster doing here?"

Hermione turned around, a frying pan in one hand and her wand in the other.

Aha! So she IS using magic for everything. Draco couldn't help but think.

,,Crookshanks, no!" Hermione admonished the cat. ,,Get down from there! You have your own food, you know."

With another glare at Draco, filled with as much loathe as a cat can muster, Crookshanks waved his tail and jumped down from the table, landing neatly near Hermione's leg. He then turned his squashed face at Draco in a very dignified way, as if daring him to do the same.