Chapter 14

Hermione and Ginny finally have a bit of 'girl time'. Everything is not all gold and roses, though. as something happens at the end of the chapter to shake Hermione up ;)

Hermione was waiting for Ginny in Diagon Alley. They had decided to go to Fortescue and have an ice cream. Since she had arrived half an hour earlier, Hermione decided to stop by the bookshop on her way to the confectionery.

She strolled down the aisles, picking a book, then decided to go down to Fortescue and wait for Ginny there. The weather was still nice, so she picked a table outside, ordered a cup of green tea and looked around, waiting for her friend to arrive

Ten minutes later, Ginny came running, face flushed and arms filled with wrapped packages.

,,I'm so sorry! I had to pick up a few things and it took longer than expected", Ginny whined, slumping into the chair across from Hermione, shuffling the packages while placing them on a chair next to her.

,,It's alright. I arrived early and stopped by the bookshop", Hermione said good-naturedly.

,,Of course you did", Ginny teased.

,,And what have you been buying?" Hermione asked, ignoring Ginny's last remark.

,,Can't you guess?" Ginny asked with an amused look on her face.

,,Quidditch stuff, right?"

,,Right you are. Harry and I decided to renew our broom maintenance kit and..."

,,You where the one who drew the short straw."

,,Right you are again", Ginny sighed. ,,But I wanted to get Harry something anyway, therefore it was better he wasn't around."

A young man came to take their order. The ice cream shop was now owned and ran by the previous owner's son, old Fortescue having died in the war. It seemed the business thrived and the new businessman had quite a success with his new addition in the menu, like fiery mint ice cream that almost made you breathe fire or the Murano ice cream, that sparkled in the sunlight like the colorful Murano glass.

Hermione and Ginny decided to order different ice creams and ended up sharing them, discussing what each has been doing since the last time they had talked.

,,How are you managing?" Ginny asked Hermione after finishing the ice cream Hermione had pushed in front of her.

,,I'm holding up", Hermione said evasively.

Hermione sipped from her tea, knowing very well that Ginny won't be satisfied with that answer. She had expected a thorough interrogation, especially after she wrote her friend, explaining the situation she was in. Harry hadn't told Ginny, letting Hermione do it herself.

Sure enough, a few moments later, having finished all the ice cream, Ginny leaned back on her chair and squinted at Hermione.

,,How's Malfoy?"

,,Insufferable", Hermione replied, rolling her eyes.

,,Come off it! I'm not buying it, you know" Ginny said grinning at her friend.

,,Ginny..."

,,You used to say the same thing about Ron. 'Oh he's so annoying and thick headed and insufferable' and Merlin knows just how many other names you called him. But even so, you used to like him. So?" Ginny asked with intent curiosity.

,,So what?"

,,So do you like him? Malfoy, I mean."

Hermione goggled at Ginny, too perplexed to reply.