The Discovery | Prologue

A/N Awesome fan-art (not the actual cover. I made that, lol) by @KinzieBear13. You should totally check her out

Carissa paced the white conference room, anger stabbing at her heart as she thought about what this new discovery could mean. If what she'd heard was true, it would cause a lot more trouble for her.

She would have to track down everyone. Jonathan and Peter, Sabrina, Shawna, Annalise. And those were only the ones she remembered! There were a lot more on the list.

She looked around the room, searching for a sheet of paper. The walls were white and the wooden table was long with office chairs surrounding it. There were file cabinets on the walls and a drawer filled with some sedatives and other things next to the projector which sat in front of the table.

She walked over to the drawer and opened it, grabbing a piece of lined paper and a pen. On it, she wrote down a list of things she would need to do, not necessarily in order. She was never able to have a very clear head when she was stressed. Making lists like that one always helped.

Track down subjects

Create a team in charge of tracking them down

Find out which ability they've gotten

Find out how to control said ability

Erase their memories

Have the New Life Division create their backstories

Her head assistant and soon-to-be husband, George Mitchell, looked over at the paper and frowned. He grabbed her pen as she was about to write down another point. "Carissa, we can deal with this. I've already gotten a team ready."

"Who's on this 'team'?" she asked, her hands still clenched tightly in fists. It would need to be a strong team. If the children really had gotten their abilities, they would be stronger than most normal people could handle.

"Beth, Talon, Daniel, and John," he said.

Carissa sighed. "Can we spare anyone else?" she asked.

"I'm afraid not. We need everyone we can to get to work on Skylar, Allana, Leo, and Christopher."

Carissa looked at George. "Do we have the records for who we need to track down?" she asked.

"Yes. I've already looked through it." He walked over to a file cabinet and pulled out a black file. On the corner, she could see Experiment Subjects written in cursive.

He handed it to her. She looked through it but stopped at one name that she had completely forgotten about.

The ink was fading and it was at almost the very back, second only to Alex. But it was there.

Mariah Patterson.