Chapter Eight

Mia's eyelids fluttered open to a familiar room

Mia's eyelids fluttered open to a familiar room. As she looked around the room she began noticing certain things such as bookshelves and a large T.V.

"You are so stupid," she heard a voice tell her.

Mia looked to her right groggily and saw Blake with large purple rings under his eyes. "What happened to you?" she asked.

"Are you kidding me? You're asking what happened to me while lying in a bed because you almost died. I was so scared, you idiot," he told me.

"I'm sorry," Mia told him before getting over her fears. "What exactly happened after I passed out?" she asked hesitantly.

Blake sighed before responding. "I saw you looking really stressed out and overwhelmed before you passed out. You fell to the ground and the fire dude tried to kill you. Luckily, the police got there quick enough and were able to extinguish you."

"Wait. Did you just say extinguish?"

Blake nodded weakly. "Mia, you were burned pretty badly back there. It's not going to be an easy recovery," he told her softly.

"What?" she asked, unable to believe her ears.

"It's going to take a while for you to get back to normal. I'm so sorry, Mia," he apologized.

She felt her world collapse around her before she was able to form a coherent sentence and even that was a small one. "How long?" she asked, trying to gulp down her fears.

"What?"

"How long until I can do things normally again?"

"I don't know. I'll get the doctor," he told her, standing up.

"Wait," she told him. "I just..." Mia took a deep breath. "I'm sorry for scaring you. I just wanted to help people. I guess I've learned my lesson. Gosh, I'm such an idiot! I can't even do one thing right!" she yelled. Suddenly, another thought popped into her head. "Blake?" He looked at her with sadness and concern. "Did anyone die or get injured because of me?" she asked hesitantly.

"Nobody died," he told her. "But..."

She tried to stay strong but it was so hard. She was able to hold back her tears for a good three seconds before they all came pouring down. That's when she realized the severity of her burns. Even just the movement of crying was more painful than she could've imagined. If she was in this much pain, what were the victims dealing with? What have I done!? she wondered as the guilt ate away at her. She threw her hands up to her eyes to try and calm the tears. It didn't work but she kept the hands there. For some reason, they were kind of comforting. They didn't do much but a little bit.

"I... I'm the w-worst... p-person e-e-ever," she stuttered.

"No, you're not. This isn't even your fault," he comforted, or at least tried to. She could tell that he wanted to hug her but was containing himself due to her burns. She was thankful. If crying was that painful she could not deal with touch.