Chapter Twenty Two

"He totally likes you," Bella gushed. "I mean, it's so obvious. He's kissed you twice."

"Yeah, but he still hasn't acknowledged it," Mia pointed out, leaning back in the leather chair and crossing her arms over her chest.

"Then you should acknowledge it!" Tori said.

"I know but I'm too shy! I just... it's hard to explain. Plus, he should have to acknowledge it! That shouldn't be my job when he's the one who kissed me!" Mia exclaimed, waving her hands through the air.

"Wait, didn't you say that you kissed each other before?" Bella asked.

"Okay, one time he kissed me. The other time he half kissed me!" Mia defended.

"So one time you half kissed him," Bella argued.

"That means that I have way less so it's on him!"

"Girl, if you don't wanna confront him, then don't, but you seriously cannot whine about him not confronting you."

"I agree with Bella," Tori said from the backseat. "You have got to either confront him or stop complaining."

"Or I could just not."

Before Bella or Tori could answer, as they surely would have, Mia's phone started to ring.

"Hello!?" she answered, relieved for an escape from that horrible conversation.

"Hey, Mia," she heard Charlie answer from the other line.

"Oh, hey. So, what's up?" she asked, confronting his reasoning.

"I can't just call my best friend when I want to?" he asked jokingly. Mia could hear the slight chuckle in his voice and almost sighed out loud, loving the sound.

"Why, of course, you can. Because there's obviously no reason other than that for why you would possibly call me."

"I know, right!? I mean, it's not like I need anything. Psh. Noooo," he joked.

"Okay, but seriously, what is it?" she asked.

Charlie sighed jokingly. "I was just wondering if you wanted to hang out after school on Monday," he asked, his perfect voice carrying through the phone.

"Of course. I'd totally be up for that. How about Starbucks at 3:30?"

"Sounds good. See you then."

"Was that Blake?" Bella asked.

"No, it was Charlie," Mia responded.

"Wait, I thought you loved Blake, not Charlie," Bella pointed out.

"What gave you the idea that I like Charlie?" Mia wondered, her eyebrows furrowed in confusion.

"You were literally twirling your hair when on the phone and I'm pretty sure that I actually heard you giggle. It's weird," Tori told them.

"I was not! And I don't like him! I'm 100% Blake."

"Well, that's good. I'm team Blake too. I just, I get this bad feeling about Charlie," Bella murmured.

"You do realize that that's only because you are insane when it comes to my love life," Mia argued.

"Psh, I am not insane! I'm just... fun?" she said although it definitely seemed more like a question.

"Fun, really Bella? You chose fun?" Tori wondered, obviously in the same amount of confusion as Mia.

"Leave me alone," she muttered although a bright smile was shown on her face. Mia was about to say something else but they arrived at the mall.