Chapter Twenty Six

Mia woke up in a cold sweat, silent screams racking her body as she thought of her nightmares. Luckily, these dreams hadn't caused any loud screams, only terrible visions she'd have to deal with the rest of the day and sobbing in her sleep.

She sat up quickly, looking around her. The air smelled of smoke and blood. She looked around, scared that she had hurt yet another innocent bystander. She let out a sigh of relief when she realized it came from a gash in her calf. She had landed on a fallen street light that had been torn up pretty bad.

Looking around, she saw that there were a lot of fallen streetlights and street signs. Not only that, but the pavement was torn up too. It was terrible. Obviously, it was worse than she had thought the night before.

Mia realized how worried her family must have been and ran over to her car when she realized that there were already people in the parking lot of the school. Mia's heart raced. She knew that she couldn't be seen walking towards her car but she needed to go home. Luckily, the mask covered almost all of her face, making her almost unidentifiable. But if Blake saw her, he'd know exactly who she was.

Mia thought for a moment, hiding at the unseen corner of the building. Suddenly, a loud gasp sounded from somewhere close by. Mia ran to the sound, only to see a girl looking at the damaged street. Mia ran over to the girl, who looked horrified. She re-adjusted her mask, making sure it covered up her face correctly. The girl stood by some bushes and Mia walked over to her quickly. "Are you okay?" was the first thing she asked.

The girl looked up before gasping again. "Who are you?" she asked, not answering Mia's question.

Mia knew her exact answer. "I'm Shock," she replied, a smug smile on her face at the name.

"What is this?" she asked.

Mia thought harder about the question. "I'm not sure what it's called. Did you hear of the fire monster on the Golden Gate Bridge a few weeks ago?" she asked. The girl nodded. "This was kind of like that except, instead of a bear made out of fire, it was an eagle made out of wind. That's what caused the damages. I stopped it," Mia stated proudly.

"Woah," a different voice rang out. Mia looked away from the girl to see that she'd gained an audience. Oh boy. They must have heard them talking and wondered what it was.

Out of the corner of her eye, she could see Blake looking at her. She knew that she would get quite the conversation done. Mia felt herself start to buckle under the attention.

"I have to go," she told them before using her invisibility to sneak away. She heard many gasps but ignored them, running over to somewhere she could hide until the kids had gone into the school and she could get to her car safely.

Mia had almost gotten to the weeping willow in the back when a hand reached out and grabbed her elbow.

Mia looked out and almost zapped the person who'd grabbed her but stopped when she saw who it was. How had he seen her? "How did you see me?" she asked, voicing her thoughts.

"A rustling of the grass here, a shift of the air there. But that's not the point. Your family is worried sick. They called me this morning freaking out about how you didn't get home. That freaked me out, Mia. I was so worried. And fighting an air eagle? You know that you aren't strong enough to fight a monster. What were you thinking? And on today of all days."

"What's today?" she wondered. She would have known if something important was going on today because she remembered literally everything.

"Your first appointment with Dr. Clarkson on the burns!" he exclaimed, shocking Mia. She'd never been informed of her first appointment.