Chapter Fourteen

Mia couldn't think

Mia couldn't think. All she could process for the rest of the night was the email she had gotten from her mother. Mia didn't sleep the whole night but that wasn't much of a change.

She looked around her room. It was nothing like the one in Seattle. This one was so small while her room back there

When morning came around, Mia's head was still spinning. Does she really love me? Mia wondered. Or is she just trying to use me? What could she use me for, though? Mia couldn't make sense of anything.

She was starting to get a headache when her dad walked in. Does he know she contacted me? Deciding to play it safe, she tried to smile.

"What are you doing?" he asked, his eyebrows raised.

"Just thinking," she responded hesitantly.

"About?" he prompted.

"I don't know," she lied. "Everything?"

"Well, once you're done thinking about 'everything' you need to get ready for school," he reminded her.

Mia groaned just thinking about going back to school. "Do I have to go?" she asked. No matter how much she wanted to learn, she'd rather avoid all the stares from her classmates.

"Yep." At least he was happy. She sighed, knowing there was no way to get out of it.

"Fine," she agreed, sitting up in her bed slowly. The soft sheets and blankets grazed her skin which ached at the movement. She ignored it and continued to sit up as straight as she could.

Once her dad had left the room, Mia started making herself move. Pushing herself to the limit, she crawled out of the bed and changed herself. The pain of changing was unbearable but it was better than the embarrassment of asking for help. At least I get crutches in a week, she thought, her positivity draining from her like a leak in a dam.

She had changed into a simple outfit of ripped blue jeans and a simple white crop-top, she moved on to her hair. She combed it and put in a few bobby pins to make it look cuter. Although she hadn't noticed it for a while, Mia's hair had been cut. Short. Most of it had already been burnt off but they needed to cut off the singed parts as well, leaving her with a pixie cut. She didn't mind much.

Sure, she loved having long hair but it was hard to work with during training and battles and it wasn't like a haircut was the end of the world.

Mia decided against makeup. It would do little to cover the scratches she had gotten from the wolf and would end up irritating the burns.

What was that wolf? she wondered. It was some sort of monster, obviously. But where did it come from?

Mia looked over at the clock on her bedside table and almost jumped when she saw that she only had five minutes left to get ready. Mia was almost always punctual and the few times she wasn't was normally due to someone else so seeing that it was 6:40 shocked her.