Chapter Eleven

"You ready?" her dad asked

"Are you kidding?" she replied. "Of course I'm not ready."

"Honey, it's just going to school," he told her. "Let me remind you that you wanted this.

"Just because I did doesn't mean that I do," she protested.

"Well, you're going either way."

"I'm in a wheelchair and you're making me go to school!" she said. "You do realize that teenagers are kind of jerks, right?"

He laughed. "You'll be fine. You have other friends."

"Whatever," she scoffed. "I'll see you later, then."

"Goodbye, sweetie." He kissed her forehead before grabbing his briefcase and walking out.

Mia had been moved into her own home a few days ago. Her dad was worried about the fact that he wasn't able to be there all the time so he decided to take her home. She'd been upset but gave in.

The doorbell rang and Mia saw Tori rush over to get it. Mia hadn't talked to Blake about the kiss yet and her worry about Tori mentioning it had been increasing by the second.

Mia wheeled herself over to the door. "Hey, Blake," she greeted awkwardly. It wouldn't be that awkward if it weren't for the wheelchair, but with him looming over her like that, it was awkward.

"Hey, Mia." He smiled at her. Mia saw Tori looking between the two weirdly.

"Awkward," Tori said randomly with a surprisingly high-pitched tone.

"Can we just go?" Mia asked.

"Yeah, this is really weird. Let's just go," Tori suggested.

Blake and Tori walked over to the car with Mia wheeling behind. When they got to where it was parked, Blake helped her get in and put the wheelchair in the back. "He is so totally into you," she whispered.

"No, he's not," Mia retorted.

Just as Tori was about to make another comment, Blake got in the car, shutting her up. Blake started up the car and they were on their way.

Mia had a feeling that when they got there people would stare. She was right. As soon as Blake helped her get on the wheelchair she could feel the penetrating stares of the random strangers at Austin High.

"Oh, boy. Today is just going to be so much fun," Mia grumbled quietly.

Blake snickered. "This is why you shouldn't purposefully put yourself in life-threatening situations."

"Hey! I saved your butt!" she argued.

"Psh, no way! I would have been totally fine without you."

Mia decided to let the argument drop, hoping to avoid any mention of the kiss. Although it had already been about a week, neither of them had brought it up.