Chapter Twelve

Realizing who it was, Mia tried to move her hands but found that they were tied behind her chair

Realizing who it was, Mia tried to move her hands but found that they were tied behind her chair. She continued trying but as she wrestled with it, she could feel her hands start to get rope-burned.

"Mia, darling, why are you trying to get away?" she asked in her falsely sweet voice.

Mia tried to scream that she hated her mother. She tried to tell her how much she'd hurt her but all that out was three simple words. "Because I'm scared." The voice was hers but from a long time ago. It was high-pitched and sounded like a child's. Mia hadn't even said the words, they just came out of her mouth. What is happening!? she wondered.

"It's okay, sweetie. I'm not going to hurt you," she promised. Mia mentally scoffed but physically, she just nodded. Nodded!? Why the heck am I nodding!? she asked herself. "I just need to run some tests."

Mia tensed up at the idea of tests. She watched as her mom pulled out several large needles. "What are those?" her child-like voice asked.

"These?" she asked, pointing to the needles. "These are just things we need for the tests." Mia watched as her mother filled up the needles with some sort of liquid before walking over. "This might hurt a little," she warned before sticking the needle into Mia's arm.

The pain was unbearable. Mia thought that she was dying and the more she meditated on it, she realized that would be better than dealing with this. She tried to stay still but was unable to prevent the thrashing that was caused by the liquid. Her mother tried to calm her down but nothing worked and soon enough, everything was empty.

Mia woke up in a small bed. She didn't know where she was and could feel the panic rising from deep inside her. As she looked around, she saw that the room smelled like old medicine. The bed she was lying on was disorderly as if she'd been thrashing around like a maniac.

Mia was surprised when she looked around the room and found that she was alone. Normally, after life-threatening situations, she woke up to Blake sitting in a chair right next to her. Mia could feel the stress of being alone start to build up inside her chest.

She tasted blood in her mouth as she searched for somewhere Blake could be hiding.

Eventually, she figured out that he actually wasn't there and felt a pang in her chest when she realized just how much she wished he was.

Suddenly, she caught on to the sound of arguing outside her door. If she had the ability to walk she would have gotten up to see what was going on but in her current state all she could do was sit there and wait for one of them to walk in and explain what the heck was going on. She assumed that she'd passed out in her class and that was why she was there but that didn't explain her dream or memory or whatever it was.

The wooden, thin door cracked open and Mia saw her dad's light straight hair, pale complexion, and familiar worried frown as he walked inside the small room. Mia felt a pang of guilt at his expression. She had been seeing the worry in the eyes of her friends and family so often lately it felt like all that she could do was cause pain and worry. Normally, her dad was the friendliest and funniest guy she knew, always welcoming people with his cheery smile.