Chapter Twenty Nine

Mia's eyelids fluttered open. The first thing she felt was a hint of familiarity. That's when she realized where she was. She was in Blake's house. The same room she'd stayed in so many other times. And she was not happy about that.

To her side, she could see Blake reading a book and realized that it was Mockingjay. She felt a surge of hate for him fill her. But she didn't know why. She didn't even like the feeling. She wanted to like him. Her thoughts were just her thinking about how grateful she was to have him in her life and how much she missed him. But her heart... her heart could only seem to hate him and she hated it.

Mia looked to her right to see that Charlie was gripping her hand only he was asleep on his chair. "What are you doing here?" she asked Blake. The words seemed to just blurt out of her mouth before she could only think about them.

"Mia! I am so happy that you're alive," he said.

Mia was about to say something hateful but she forced herself to stop and think about her words carefully. "I'm sorry I worried you. You know that this is a part of the job. Were there any fatal or serious injuries?" she asked, pushing her feelings aside, at least momentarily.

"No," he told her, a smile on his face. "Thanks to you, everybody was able to stay safe. I mean, you got pretty badly injured but other than that, everyone's fine," he told her.

Mia sighed in relief before feeling a shift to her right. She looked over to see that Charlie had woken up. She tried to keep a clear head, but as soon as Charlie woke up, her emotions were amplified.

Charlie turned his attention to Blake. "Could you give us the room?" he asked.

Blake looked at Mia, obviously hesitant to leave them alone. Eventually, after a bit of glaring from Charlie, he left.

As soon as Blake left the room, Charlie's face went from calm and relieved, to angry. Mia shriveled up in the bed as Charlie turned to face her. "You mess up everything!" he yelled. "Because of you, everything is ruined. It's all your fault. You don't even deserve love."

His hand flew to her face as it had done once before. This time, though, she was expecting it. But she didn't stop it. He was right. She didn't deserve it. She didn't deserve anything. Mia felt another surge of hate flood her. But this time, it wasn't towards Blake.

It was towards herself.

Mia felt tears fall down her cheeks. It hurt even more than last time. She knew that her face must have been scratched up from the fight and the slap didn't help.

He was about to slap Mia again when the door burst open. Blake came rushing in. "I knew it!" he yelled, running over to Charlie.

Mia saw Blake punch Charlie. Mia felt screams coat her voice. "Leave him alone!" she screamed. She wasn't even sure who she was yelling at.

She stood up slowly. She would have been faster but her injuries were restraining her. She went over to the boys as quickly as possible, which wasn't very fast.

She tried to get in between the boys but could never get a firm enough stance. Then, Charlie noticed her again. His fist curled like it had when he was punching Blake. Only this time, it was aimed at her.

Charlie's fist connected with Mia's jaw and she fell on the floor. She'd had enough. "Charlie. It's time for you to go," she told him, making sure not to let any of her emotions get in the way of her head.

"What?" he asked, wonderment clear in his shocked expression. "You can't talk to me like that! Don't you love me?"

Mia wanted to say yes. She so much wanted to say yes and let him sweep her off her feet. But she knew she had to be strong. "Yes. Sadly, I do. But I won't let that affect me. Get away from me Charlie," she told him as she watched him approach her.