Chapter 27

After leaving Belfast home he left the car and decided to continue on foot. The moon shone brightly as he walked on the pavement, looking at the beautiful sea, although it had been a long time now since he ascended, he still couldn't stop appreciating the beautiful nights. The nights in his memories were not as bright as the nights over here, in fact, Shikikan never knew nights could be so beautiful, the only nights he remembered now were the nights with the Darknight squad. The Darknight squad was one of the most secretive SF units in the world. They were even considered an urban myth as no one had ever seen them and lived to tell the tale. The name Darknight squad was coined as they operated in the darkest nights. It was often rumoured that the Darknight's operators never used any NVG sights and were chosen specifically for their extraordinary senses to operate in dark but the truth was they were just good at what they did. After serving in the Darknight squad for three years, he decided to return to his ship and try to achieve his childhood dream of commanding a warship. He worked hard and became the youngest person to ever graduate from the war college. It had been only two months since he took command of his first ship when the war broke out.

Shikikan stops for a moment to feel the chilly night winds.

Shikikan: Akagi... I wish you were here...

Somewhere deep down he had hoped she followed him. Seven months had passed since he had last seen her vanishing into the fog of the ocean and now he was once again alone with his inner demons. There had not been a single day when he had not seen the hands made of dark shadows trying to choke him. In those seven months away from Akagi all he had learned was to ignore those shadows. He resumed walking towards home even though he knew the dark cloud of smoke followed him.

The next morning was like any other morning, his usual nightmares woke him up drenched in sweat, even though he had only slept for four hours he got off the bed and went on his daily jog. By the time he returned home Belfast had already arrived and had started preparing his breakfast.

Shikikan: Good morning, Belfast.

Belfast: Good morning my lord, I hope you slept well.

Shikikan: Of course I slept well and Belfast would you mind staying at home? My bikes are scheduled to arrive around noon.

Belfast: As you wish, master.

He took a quick shower, put on his white tunic and after having breakfast left for the headquarters. 

Nelson: You are late!!

Shikikan: It's eight in the morning exact!!

He points at his wristwatch.

Shikikan: How do you consider this late?

Nelson: You ought to reach at least half an hour early every day. Co-man-der.

Shikikan: Just let me in... please.

Shikikan couldn't believe this was really happening.

Shikikan: So....

He was about to ask Nelson about the commission fleet but decided not to after looking at her annoyed face.

Nelson: What is it?

"How can someone be so annoyed? oh...I hope she doesn't murder me by the end of the day." He thought

Nelson: Hmph, are you done playing hooky? I've prepared the documents and will be counting on you to work for the time being.

Nelson handed him a giant bundle of papers. Shikikan checks a few documents out and then asks Nelson.