Chapter 34

Master chief: Where do you think they go, sir?

Shikikan: ...

Master chief took a sip from his flask and passed it to Shikikan who was at the scope of his rifle.

Master Chief: All them...deadmen.

Shikikan: ...

Master Chief: My father used to tell me all about haven and hell and stuff...

Shikikan: Why are you asking me then?

Master Chief: I don't know what to believe anymore.

Shikikan: Already lost your faith in humanity?

Master Chief: ...

Shikikan waited for Master Chief to take the position before taking a sip of water.

Master Chief looked through his scope and saw the convoy of cars arriving at the deserted village. They had been waiting in the thick jungle for three days, without moving. Just waiting for the high-value target they were after.

Master Chief: The convoy has arrived.

Shikikan rested his cheek on his rifle as both men lay on the wet ground, covered with ghillie suits and other natural camouflage they could gather.

Master Chief: The HVT is in the gray SUV in the middle of the convoy.

Shikikan: ...

Master Chief: No...

Shikikan: What is it?

Master Chief: He's got children with him.

Shikikan: ...

Master Chief: We have to call off-

Shikikan: Don't panic.

Shikikan said in a calm voice.

Target walked inside a wooden cottage and was accompanied by two children and a woman.

Master Chief: IDs confirmed it's his family.

Shikikan: ...

Master Chief: Base this is Serpent! The target is accompanied by three civilians. 

Base: *crackle* Serpent this is base, please confirm what civilians? *crackle*

Master Chief: It's his wife and two kids.

Base: *crackle* Serpent how certain are you? *crackle*

Master Chief: Of course I am certain! We have to call off.

Base: *crackle* Negative serpent hold until further orders, we are running this through the capital. *crackle*

Master Chief: They saying-

Shikikan: I heard that. Target has moved inside the house take the thermals and locate him.

Master Chief complied.

Master Chief: HVT is walking towards the big window.

Shikikan moved his scope towards the window through which he could see the dining table.

Master chief he is sitting behind the left wall.

Shikikan: Are the children with him?

Master chief: Yes they are.