5.

"You aren't obligated to walk me home every day, Lucifer."

As expected by her mild admonishment, that slow smile formed on his lips along with his hooded dark eyes was his response to her. She turned her face slightly so he won't see how his smile affected her but he knows. It has been three days since she officially met Lucifer Delacourde and had lunch with him at a picnic table outside. He was attentive, respectable and protective of her. Casually she observed how he interacted with her and the other girls in their grade. Whereas she was blessed with his smiles and subtle teasing, the girls receive expressionless stares and cold responses. Their new friendship brought along rumors about her background and for the 'bosses' to ply her with insults when he wasn't around. Amara didn't mention these to him, not because she was scared or insecure, she didn't do it because she pinpointed jealousy from afar. It was nice to have a friend, he was helping her adjust to the new school and learn more about the state itself.

"Humor me, mon rayon de soleil," he returned softly. Amara cleared her throat as an attempt not to release a lovesick sigh because of his pet name for her. They were now standing at the end of the stone path that led to her house with him holding her bag. It's still confusing that he will drive ahead of the school bus after school and wait for her at the bus stop then walk down the street with her. The past three mornings she was surprised to see him waiting for her at the bus stop, it got her dissecting the dynamics of a male/female friendship. Her brows pulled in concentration as she recalled the research she read on human behavior where friendships are concerned. 

"What are you trying to process, Ami?" Lucifer chuckled lowly upon witnessing the little blush on her caramel cheeks across her face then the confused look that came after. She was very easy to read and for the time they've spent together, he was surprised how intuned he was with her. Amara was practical in thinking but trying her best to understand the world on an emotional level. She questioned him about a few of their peers' behavior then compared it to studies she has read about the teenagers. Books helped raised her, he deducted along with the grandmother whom she spoke fondly of. He didn't push her about her folks, he will wait until she's ready for that step. 

"You and your actions towards me," she stated boldly. Eyes locked on his, head held proud like the queen she unknowingly was, Amara eyed Lucifer calmly while her heart was beating faster than the normal beat rate.

"Go on," he gently pushed. Patiently he waited for her to gather the right words that won't sound rude or disrespectful. 

"This friendship we have is beyond what I've read in self-help books and the fictional books I decided to study," she began. Lucifer bit his lips, trying to smother smile after he pictured her reading a fluffy romance novel and taking notes of each character. Amara was one of a kind and she was his, he won't have it any other way. 

"What did you discover, Ami?" 

"There. That pet name you have for me along with the French one, they are examples of your true affection to me," she exclaimed with wide-eyed clarity. Lucifer grinned and stepped closer to her. He can hear how her breathing changed, her cheeks were darker and her eyes became hooded with her innocence and unconscious reaction to him. He waited for her to say more. "Y-Y-You like me on a level higher than platonic friends," she stated.

"Yes, I do." It makes no sense lie to her, he wanted her to know and knew she will appreciate his honesty. 

"But we just met...."

"You intrigued me the first time I heard you talk. Your natural curiosity made mine come alive and your presence is one I want to be in all the time."

 Way to go Lucifer, why don't you just tell the girl she's your soulmate and freak her out some more? Frowning at his thoughts, he took in the flabbergasted look on Amara's face. SHIT!