11.

Every minute that goes by and every time he had to fumble with those idiotic crutches, Detective Nolan cursed that wretched Delacourde kid for him being laid up. He wasn't even at his own shitty apartment. He was being cared for by his only friend and desk buddy's wife in their damn near perfect home. The place was top notch for a cop and store manager's salary. The guest room he was now confined to was more like a hotel suite, state of the art entertainment system, private bathroom, and a very comfortable queen-sized bed. The couple had two kids, a preteen and toddler, he took note of the family dynamic and found it too ideal. Maybe he was being cynical but he knew the majority of cop homes didn't have such ideal things. He couldn't help but pinpoint things that don't add up. Yes, people can save and splurge on their homes but what he has seen beg to doubt his sane reasoning. 

"Hey. You ready for your check-up?"

The voice of his friend cut through his bitterness. Thankfully he was able to pull his own damn pants up and not depend on help from the man. 

"Yeah. Got business on that side of town too?" he asked eyeing Rossi's pristine civilian wear.

"I have a meet up with some friends around that area. Jan will pick you up, text her when you're called in," Rossi said leaning against the doorjamb. Nolan stubbornly reached for his crutch with his uninjured hand and hoised himself to get his knowingly cranky day. 

"Why don't I come along? I can definitely do with some fresh air," Nolan said as he moved past his friend. 

"Raincheck on that, bud. What you need to do is take this sick leave as a time to rest. You've been on case after case since you got here and I know your last case has hit a dead end with false leads."

"Not. False. Leads," he grounded out.

Rossi's hands clenched in exasperation, it was taking everything in him not to tell his friend the truth but the guy was far too gone in his ego. He was a hundred percent sure if invited to work for Delacourde, his ego won't allow him to follow the rules of an eighteen-year-old, not to mention the fifteen years old twins. In addition to that, he knew Nolan will become power-hungry with the liberties the cops under the seal has. It was better he was kept in the black about how things really go done in Boston.

"Then use your downtime to think of different angles. I don't know why you have this vendetta against Delacourde and his kids but I will be careful if I was you," Rossi advised. Reaching forward and holding open the door for Nolan, he eyed the man steadily as his face distorted with anger. "Because he believes he's above the law and he has those sons of his, thinking the same. That fucking security company he created is nothing but a shame to get his kids to play soldier. Spoiled little pricks. I've had my share of those types, they are to be cut down immediately when they act entitled. Delacourde didn't acknowledge the death of that teen at his club...." 

"The clubs are Humphreys, Nolan. Did you even do a thorough check on it? That's public news," Rossi interrupted his rant. 

Slowly he situated himself in the car and continued on with the frustration of his case. Rossi allowed the man to vent, putting in his neutral input as they made their way to the outpatient clinic. 
"I hate to say this but I think the chief is under that asshole's thumb," Nolan muttered softly.

"Don't be fucking daft, Nolan. You just came to Boston, shit moves differently here. Don't let any of the guys hear you spew that crap. Saying things like that is another way of saying you don't trust your boss and tarnishing his name. You're a cool friend but I won't let a west coast failure speak nonsense about the boss."

Nolan reared back in shock not only by the venom in Rossi's voice but the underlying threat of his words. Shock dissolved into matched anger. "I say it as I see it and I see a lot of things happening that an ordinary city precinct doesn't do or have. Thanks for the ride. I will return to my apartment after. Thanks for the hospitality, Detective Rossi," he sneered as he clambered out of the car. 
Rossi sped off immediately when his car door was slammed closed. Nolan stood on the sidewalk outside of the clinic, knowing he had to do what's good for his new workplace. It was a hard pill to swallow by what he suspected and the fact that he will be a whistleblower but it had to be done. There were crooked cops at that precinct. Internal Affairs has to be notified. He allowed one rich, pompous and messed up man to make a mess of his career back in California and he won't let another do the same in Boston.  Hobbling into the clinic and doing the necessary signing in, he sat patiently waiting to be called in while making that one call. He won't be mocked ever again.