23.

Boston

It was great to be back home. Arianna Delacourde sat beside her husband, holding his hand tightly as he drove them through the estate gates. It has been a trying day so far and this new information from Chase wasn't reassuring. The only action they can take without being noticed or showing that they knew of their local dealings. She knew the plan her husband and brothers came to an agreement on was a really good one but the details bothered her.

"He's only fifteen." 

Raizon heard the sadness in her voice and wished it wasn't there. "Fifteen and mature as every seasoned soldier we have under our name. Chase will be his guardian, not that he needs one but he'll be safe, my love. I'm not too one hundred percent okay with this but this plan is all we got," he replied softly. 

"I don't give a shit about the plan right now, Ray. One of my babies is practically moving out of our home, across the damn country to be working under the fucking feds. The other is in Florida, and if shit blows up again I know he will be the next one to leave home. Yes, we got money to fly out whenever we want but couldn't he at least come home for me to hold him? To see them all under one roof. I just want to hold them. I just want to..." 

Raizon's hands tighten on the steering wheel as he listened to his wife's cries. It wasn't like her to be so wrought with emotions but he understood why she was at her breaking point. The life he brought her into, was now taking over their family. He promised her happiness but when they reach that goal some asshole was waiting on the sidelines to ruin that. The upheaval at their borders and against their allies tested their resilience, Arianna's charges being murdered now their jobs at keeping the peace between the underworld and the society that dubbed themselves better was taking one of her sons. 
Unable to take it anymore, he pulled to the curb, three houses away from theirs. Her sobs filled the SUV, in his peripheral he witnessed his wife doubling over in emotional pain, crying over the lives they couldn't save over the years, the unfairness they try to right when the government forsakes their people, and the danger they face over the years. 

Maybe it was time to step down.

"I'm so sorry, kitten. I promised you happiness, not this. I can order him back home. I can step down and let the Russians take over. I'll do anything for you to stop hurting. I'm so sorry, baby. So sorry."

"I can't ask you to give up what you built....."

"I told you before Arianna, I will give it all up for you. It hurts seeing you this way. You stood by my side for years, you nearly lost me, how many times we've both been on edge whenever we go on rescue missions. Baby, let me give you the happiness we spoke of, that vision of growing old with no worries," he said desperately. 

She said nothing, Arianna kept her head buried in her hands, legs pulled close to her chest, she was warring with her thoughts. Her husband, the love of her life was offering her happiness yet she was thinking of the work she has started, and all those who depend on them. For years they have been the law behind the law to keeping gangs in line and solving cases that the government turned blind eyes to. Their little boy is still a teenager, it will be too much on his shoulders. Even when she tries to be selfish, the thought of others always goes before her self. 

"Why couldn't you fall in love with a woman who was so vain and selfish you would have put her in her own paradise by now?" she said with a shaky laugh. 

Raizon chuckled, reaching for her, he smiled when she turned her head to get closer to his touch. Drying her tears, he leaned over the console to kiss her wet cheeks, he can still hear the fading remnants of her heart-piercing sobs, it pained him to see her this way. "That type of woman wouldn't have saved me in every human way possible. I'm in love with you. My fierce, selfless loving wife, the doting mother to my four kids, the four you promised me on the day of our vows. What did I do to deserve you?" he asked with a small smile.