10.

Boston

In the early hours of the morning when the sun hasn't shown its face to the world yet, Amara woke with a start and was instantly plagued with a slight headache. Sitting up in her bed, she listened for what woke her up in the still of the morning. Not content with no follow up to the jarring noise, she quickly got off her bed and opened the door cautiously. Outside her room, the only light in the house came from the hallway leading to her mother's suite. Sticking to the wall, she passed the guest suite and linen closet and stopped at the corner where the hallway on her left was and the staircase ahead of her. There was nothing to be heard.

"Leya? Ron?" she called out.

No retort. No indulgent answer.

Going down the stairs, she didn't know what to expect but she was somehow relieved to see the perfectly clean showroom living room, dining room, and kitchen. Checking the clock over the stove it was forty-three minutes after five. Eyeing the room closely, her eyes came to rest on the key rack situated by the door that led to the garage. The key to the blacked-out Benz was missing. Her 'step-father's' favorite car. Amara frowned, it was way too early for him to leave for whatever job he does. Something made her run up to the master suite, what she found confirmed what she thought.

Leya left her again.

The door to the walk-in closet was open, the majority of their clothes were missing, along with jewelry, phone chargers, shoes, the safe was open and the piece-de-resistance, their large suitcases were gone. Over the past few years, she has been living with her mother, she has been left alone for months upon a time until the two came back with news of 'job transfer' to a new state. She never questioned them after the first time she did. Amara simply kept her head down and focus on doing what her grandmother asked of her. Releasing an annoyed sigh, she trudged back to her room, just in time to get a text from Lucifer. Just seeing his name pop up on the screen made the annoyance and loneliness fade away. 

Luke: Morning, love. You're probably sleeping, that's why I texted. Morning pick up postponed but I will see you before the first period for my morning kiss. I miss you lots. Till later, gorgeous. Be safe. 

Though she won't have a few minutes alone with him before facing the masses of high school, Amara was still pleased by his considerate text. It was Friday and she planned to ask him out on a date. To her, an official date. In one of the books, she read on Modern Dating for the Modern Woman, one of the tips was initiating date night and spoiling your potential partner isn't wrong. It shows them that you too are all for the relationship, show appreciation. 

Amara: I miss you too. See you then.

A wide giddy smile was on her lips when she replied to his message. Unable to go back to sleep, she carefully chose her outfit for school and also chose an outfit for their date night, if he says yes. Her confidence level was a bit shaking after doing another Google search on her new boyfriend. He was famous in his own right and extremely handsome. At eighteen, Lucifer was not only considered a man but he had the physique of a man in his twenties. She spotted a side by side photo of him and his father, both men were undeniably good looking but Lucifer favored his mother with his dark hair and eyes but his father's background was prominent. He had a dark exotic look that was sending girls and grown ladies crazy. 

"And he chose me," Amara whispered to herself. 

A call came in on her phone, immediately she recognized the ringtone she had for Lucifer. "Why isn't my gorgeous girlfriend asleep?" Her face heated upon his question, taking a seat by the alcove she created by the large bay window, she settled in for their morning conversation. "Something woke me up. Couldn't go back to sleep," she answered.