The Bigger Picture

1st September 1995

Hermione woke up early with the anticipation to get back to Hogwarts. Without Harry the year is going to be very different, but at least she can escape the Headquarters of the Order of the Phoenix. It wasn't easy sending messages under the nose of Mrs. Weasley. The twins really came through for her with their secret encoding. While Dobby handled popping most of the messages, there were some which he couldn't. And to keep up the appearances, she had to send some message correspondence to her parents. As she had already packed her trunk, she didn't have much to do that morning except bathe and dress up. Deciding to tackle it, she went down to the kitchen half an hour later leaving her trunk in her room. 

Down in the kitchen, Mrs. Weasley was already up and was talking to somebody. Wondering who it might be that is up at this hour of the day, she tip toed to the door. 'It maybe some Order member that has popped in to give some report', she thought. 'Even though eavesdropping is bad, I must listen to try and figure what is happening within the Order, seeing as no one is ready to give us KIDS any update', she decided.

"Eat soon and go upstairs before anyone sees you", said Molly. "It's Dumbledore's orders no one could see you. Once the kids are back at Hogwarts I'll be free of this babysitting duty".

"Yes Molly, as you command", replied a familiar voice in an emotionless monotone. Before she could stop herself, a loud gasp escaped Hermione. Inside the kitchen, Molly stiffened and almost ran to the door to check who it was. A fraction of second before the door opened, Dobby popped and cast an elven disillusionment magic on her, saving Hermione from Molly's eyes and the Homenum Revelio charm.

"I could have sworn I heard somebody here", she muttered to herself. "I'm getting paranoid, Alastor must be rubbing off on me" and went back into the kitchen. Out in the hall, Hermione clutched her heart and tiptoed back to her room under disillusionment charm, even though no one else was about and around. Once in her room, she latched the door and locked the door using a charm before erecting privacy & anti-eavesdropping wards.

'Now I know why I didn't run into Sirius even once all these days. He's being held prisoner in his own house', she thought. 'I don't think it is just a sedative that he's being potioned with either. It's not like Sirius to be submissive, especially to someone like Molly, unless he is being controlled'. "Oh my God, he must be under the imperius" 

"Dobby", she called. The little guy popped in and dispelled the concealment magic on Hermione before saying, "Miss Hermy should be careful. Weasel lady is dangerous". Hermione knew she would have been busted if not for Dobby and just nodded. "I'll be more careful Dobby. Now for urgent matters, I want you to deliver this note to Remus and make sure that he doesn't do anything stupid like charging here. Immobilise him however necessary and tell him getting himself captured is not going to help anybody", saying so she took a parchment and quickly scribbled a note and handed it to Dobby. He popped out with the note and was back in five minutes.

"Dobby gave the note to wolf-man. Wolf-man wanted to do bad things to all who are keeping Master Harry's dogfather prisoner. But Dobby told the wolf-man not be stupid. Dobby had to tie him up and take his wand before wolf-man listened to what Dobby said. Wolf-man gave this note to you Ms. Hermy" and handed a note. It read,

Hermione, I can't believe Dumbledore will go to this length. He's supposed to be leader of Light, no wonder Fawkes is helping you. My initial reaction was to apparate there to take Sirius away. But Dobby convinced me that is not a brilliant idea, smart elf. Also, if Sirius is under imperius, he could be made to attack me. I don't want to think what he could do to me with all the Black family curses. I know you'll come up with a plan. Count me in for anything. I'll be waiting to hear from you.