Somebody that I Used to Know

*:・゚✧ *:・゚

Its a typical busy day at the head office.

A thick blanket of clouds hangs drearily above the New York skyline. 

I survey the grey October morning from the window of my high-rise domain while taking another tentative sip of freshly brewed coffee. 

A sigh of gratitude escapes my parted lips when I feel the buzz of caffeine dispersing through my veins. 

My schedule is jam packed for the entire week so I'll need all the energy I can get to help me through this Monday to begin with. It didn't help that I hardly got any sleep after the nightmare of a weekend I'd had. 

Being the CEO of my own PR company and Editor in Chief of the city's most popular, up and coming lifestyle magazine was a tough job.

One that required me to rise at 5am every morning, work out, walk the dog, meditate and still make it to the office looking immaculate by 7.30 am sharp!

Some people call me 'OCD', 'anal', too 'straight laced', 'a stick in the mud'- you get the idea.

But I like to describe myself as 'focussed'. That's the only way to ever really get things done! 

And besides, once you've tried it, I've never ever heard a bad thing from anyone about anal.

Seeing my ex, Jungkook at Ji Woo's engagement party on Saturday night left me throughly shaken, I had to admit. 

He looked as good as I'd ever seen him. He'd grown up a lot in the space of two years. His jaw more chiseled, shoulders broader, standing taller. It was only from across a crowded room but even from that distance, I noticed. 

He'd changed. No longer the innocent 23 year old that asked me if I'd spend the rest of my life with him. His innocent bunny smile quivering at its corners in wait of my answer. I said yes. There was no other response I could possibly think of, no doubt in my mind.

He disappeared from my life for two years without a word save for a pathetic email he sent me two days after the wedding saying that he never meant to hurt me and some other careless vitriol that I didn't bother reading in its entirety. 

I deleted the email along with any regard I held for him, completely out of my life and since then I've never looked back.

Days, weeks and months passed. Sure, I wondered for a while if I should pick up the phone and ask him where we went wrong, beg him to take me back and try to work things out. But my pride was much too strong for that. He was the one who had hurt and embarrassed me.

He should've been the one to call, not me. 

It took a long time for my longing for things to go back to the way they were to disappear. Until I replaced that longing with my drive for success which led me to where I am today. 

"Kookie?" I call out. my eyes raked the darkness of the living room.