CHAPTER VII

Poe

Getting stitched up was not on my to-do list for the day, but having a beautiful blonde with such a gentle touch do it was more than I could ever ask for. If it weren't for the thin needle piercing my skin, I'd barely even know someone was touching me. I felt the pull of a knot being tied and heard scissors cutting the thread. The couch dipped in next to me as a gloved hand touched my chin, almost as a caress, and pulled my face  towards the left. I heard a soft sound come from the doctor, and opened my eyes to be overwhelmed by the deep green color of her eyes yet again.

She inhaled quickly, and I couldn't tell it was from surprise or our close proximity. She searched my eyes as I took in her stunning features- the way her light freckles were scattered across her small nose and high cheeks like stars in the night sky.

"How does it look, doc?" I asked, a lot quieter than I had intended. My eyes moved to her plush lips, anticipating her answer. Just as her mouth opened to speak, the door to her office opened and she shot back onto the other side of the couch as if she had been shocked. I looked over to see a tall man in a med coat, much like the one I've seen Sienna wear. Not a blonde hair on his head was out of place as he switched eyes between the two of us; I could only imagine what he thought he saw.

"Dr. Dreis, sorry about that. I heard the nurse mention you were here out of uniform and wanted to stop by to see if everything was okay. I didn't realize you were with a.. patient." There was nothing apologetic in his tone as he gave his female counterpart an accusatory look.

"Everything is okay here." Sienna's usually light voice was heavy with annoyance. "Commander Dameron had an accident in the hangar as I was passing through-"

"and she graciously offered to fix me up so I could get back to work," I interjected as I stood from the couch. "Poe Dameron, I don't believe we've met.." I said as I stuck my hand in the other doctor's direction. He stared at it for a second before grasping my hand in his.

"I don't believe we have, Dr. Ezra Fannin." He gave a big smile showing his perfect teeth. He dropped my hand and turned back towards the woman regarding our exchange with a tight lips.

I watched them talk about some party that Sienna was obviously not interested in attending. I could see the flush rising up her body, starting at her chest and creeping up her neck. I don't know her that well and even I could tell she was reaching the limit on her patience. I was about to step in when,

"Sienna, come on -" Fannin tried to plead with her when she cut him off, standing from the couch with her hands gripped tightly at her sides. I had a feeling she would deck him if she could. What I would give to see her knock out one of his pearly whites..

"Ezra. You're excused." She glared at him, her eyes shining with an authority that was very, very hot.

Backing down, Fannin went to leave and nodded in my direction. "Pleasure, pilot,"  he said before exiting the now tension-filled office. I looked over to see the feisty blonde staring where the other doctor had just been. I could tell she was trying to collect herself before going back to the table.

"Hey, can I borrow a scalpel? I'm pretty sure I could use it to cut the tension that's in here," I jokingly said, trying to lighten the mood.

She rolled her eyes before replying, "As if I would give you a knife that sharp, and sorry about that. He has a bad habit of barging in here. And of being an asshole." This caused me to laugh at her grumpy comments.

"So how long since you two were together?" I asked as casually as I could. It was obvious there was some history between the two of them; like they each just knew what to say to get under the other's skin.

She locked eyes with me and narrowed them slightly,  "I don't really see how that's any of your business."

"Humor me, doc. You did cause me to cut my face open after all." I reached up to feel the small stitches above my brow. Before my hand could find the cut, she ran over and grabbed my arm, pulling it away from my face.

"Don't touch it! I still need to put some antibiotic cream on it. And fine, Mr. Guilt Trip, we dated for two years but broke up over a year ago," she said reluctantly while dabbing a cooling gel on the wound.

"Dating a coworker, how scandalous of you."

"To be fair, we were dating before we joined the resistance and broke up when I was given run of the wing. Being coworkers is just a lot easier than being lovers."

"So what lucky man has the pleasure of being your lover then?" I asked in a low voice, catching her off guard. I didn't miss the faint flush in her cheeks as she turned back to the supplies on the table. I walked over behind her as she replied,

"Unfortunately, I don't have much time for a 'lover' at the moment." She spun back around and looked up at me. She only stood there for a few seconds before moving towards her desk, her back to me.

"You're all fixed up. If the cut starts to get irritated, or you get a fever, come back in. We will watch it pretty closely for infection."

I took this as an excusal and after taking her in one more time, made my way towards the door.

"Commander," I heard her soft voice call out, "Sorry again.."

I looked over my shoulder at her, smiling.

"No problem, Sienna. I'll see you later."

And I definitely meant it.