CHAPTER XLIV (EPILOGUE)

Living in a time without war was... odd. But refreshing. Kind of boring? But maybe that was just the "being pregnant" part.

I wiped the sweat dripping from my brow, stomping my foot as I leaned down with my hands on my knees. "I swear, Finn, you are the only one that has been able to beat me. And I'm actually pissed at you for it."

His deep laugh filled the air. "Aren't you like six months pregnant now?"

"Seven and two weeks," I corrected, placing my hands on my head to give my lungs more space to fill.

"I'd say you have a good reason for losing, then."

I scrunched my nose at the man. "There is never a good reason for losing." He continued laughing at me, throwing a heavy arm over my shoulders as we walked to the hangar. "I want a rematch after this baby."

"Ah, don't be like that, Si. I'd hate to make you run with Poe. Especially after last time."

"No way! I need some competition, even if it does mean I lose."

Someone cleared their throat behind us, making me stop in my tracks. "I'm sorry, what was that, Dreis?"

Finn slowly spun us around, and I met Poe's eyes with a small smile. "Oh, hello. We were uh, just talking about you! I was telling Finn here how you beat me in our space race a few months back..."

"Is that right?" He asked skeptically. He turned to Finn with a curious brow, but I could tell he was trying to keep a smile at bay. "And what did you think about my tactics?"

"Oh, well how you- how you just flew by her like, whoa! Man, you really- you really took that win man. Just like I did." As Finn was tripping over his words, he was walking towards Poe, giving him a quick slap on the back before making his escape towards base.

"Finn!" I yelled, but he threw a quick wave over his shoulder and disappeared. I pinched the bridge of my nose, but smiled as I shook my head. I looked up and put my hands on my hips as Poe sauntered over to me with his signature grin.

"You look a little worn out there, doc."

I narrowed my eyes at him. "You try running on those trails while pregnant, Dameron, then come speak to me about looking worn out."

He chuckled before reaching up and pushing my loose hair behind my ear. He looked down, smiling at my bump as he always did. "You never cease to amaze me." He placed a chaste kiss on my forehead. "What time do we need to leave tomorrow?"

"Sun up would be fine. Sanu will be expecting us anytime in the morning." We were flying to Devaron for a check up. While Ezra has been helping me with some of my appointments, we both decided that the more intimate ones would be better left to Sanu. "I need to run by the med wing to get the okay from Ezra to fly again. Shouldn't be an issue."

"Sounds good to me. Just reiterate to him that I'll be piloting. You'll get to sit back and relax."

I rolled my eyes and huffed a breath. "Oh yeah, my favorite thing to do."

Poe's eyes shined as he held my face between his rough hands. "Excuse me for not being the medical professional you are, but you know you're going to have to start calming down the closer we get to your term, right? Which is only a few weeks away."

"I didn't see you giving any mention of 'calming down' last night, General," I said with a raised brow.

His booming laugh filled the hangar. "That is quality time with your husband, doc. That's different."

"Hmm, I do enjoy our quality time," I said, wrapping my arms around his neck. He snaked his arm around my waist, using one hand on my backside to pull me into him as much as possible with the growing baby between us.