CHAPTER VIII

Sienna

Leaving the canteen after an early lunch with Tash, we wandered back towards our respective quarters. She was still trying to get me to join her at the gathering tonight, complaining that she needed her "partner in crime" for the evening.

"Those sad eyes aren't going to work on me, Tash." I told her while threading my arm through hers. "I'm sure you will have plenty of fun without me. I'm also quite looking forward to a night with my wine and my research.." Just the thought of some time with a bottle of Corellian wine and notes spread across the floor had put me in an amazing mood today.

"You are so lame, smarty-pants, but I guess that's why you're the one in charge," she said, sticking her tongue out at me. "I reckon you do deserve a relaxing night. Stars know that Zane's will be anything but chill."

We came to a stop at the wall of windows in the hall that looked over the hangar. Men and women in orange jumpsuits were milling about, checking on their ships or in deep conversations with others. My eyes lingered on the black fighter stationed in the front. It was one of the sleekest X-wings I had ever seen. Two laser cannons came out of either side, the orange wings sticking out in sharp contrast to the deep black on the rest of it. On the top, flashing lights caught my eye as I saw BB-8 settled into this seat.

"Ahh, another mission," Tash said while looking at the fighters with an almost bored expression. "Hopefully it's a quick one. Those almost never end up sending anyone our way."

I agreed with her. The short missions were hardly something we had to worry about. It was the multi-day missions that ended with some injuries.

Movement from around the base of the black ship caused me to shift my eyes off of the droid. Below I saw Commander Dameron speaking with Leia, no doubt going over the tasks of the mission. Each of them had a serious expression on their face, heads ducked down in conversation. I watched as Dameron suddenly looked up at BB-8, then he turned his attention up to where Tash and I were watching the exchange. A smile lit up the pilot's face, his hand coming up for a small wave. The General looked up too, and upon seeing us, she gave a smile that caused the edges of her eyes to crinkle up.

I waved back, an involuntary smile gracing my lips. I glanced up at BB-8 who was giving me a thumbs-up and I returned it, causing him to flash his lights. I could imagine the happy sounds he was making. I looked back to see Dameron was still looking at me. I held his strong gaze and took my lower lip between my teeth, my heart rate spiking.

Wait.. What was wrong with me?

I shook my head, breaking eye contact with the man and looking over at my best friend. Tash was staring at me with a deep set smirk, giving me a look that made me want to run away from her and lock myself in my room where she couldn't get to me.

"Well... would you look at THAT!" she squealed at me. I drug her away from the window and down the hall as quickly as I could, too embarrassed to look down and see if the General or Commander were still looking in our direction.

"Tash, don't even star-"

"Don't start what?! Excuse me Miss Flushed Cheeks and Lip Biting, but what the fuck was that?!"

"Shh!" I tried to quiet her down before she caught anyone's attention.

"Sienna Dreis, you better start explaining what that smoldering look was Poe was just giving you. That was even getting me hot and bothered." She dramatically started fanning her face and put her other hand on her forehead like she was going to faint. I grabbed her hand and led her to my room. I was practically dragging her along, but I didn't particularly care at the moment. I opened my door and rushed in, shutting it right when she entered.