CHAPTER XXXI

"I can't believe how wrong we were."

I sighed as I finished braiding my hair back. "I know, Tash. I know." We were standing at one of the large windows of the ship looking out at the cruiser that Admiral Holdo was piloting. I leaned my head on Tash's as she leaned on my shoulder. We stood like that for some time, watching the blasts from the Order's ship bouncing off of the weakening shield.

"What do you think Poe is going to think when he wakes up?" The woman asked with a humorous tone. I huffed out a breath, allowing a small smile to form.

"He will probably lose his shit until he realizes what is going on. I'm sure Leia will talk him down. She's good at that."

"That she is," a deep voice said from behind us.

We both spun around to see the pilot leaning against the wall. Tash threw her hands up in the air. "How is it that you were stunned not too long ago and you still look this good?!" I laughed at her, shaking my head while raising a brow at the man. He shot us a wink before coming to stand by my side and grabbing my hand.

"How are you feeling, love? I didn't know you had woken up." I asked as I gave his hand a soft squeeze.

"Sore, but fine. Panicked when I woke up, but Leia and I had a talk." He walked over to the other wall, pointing at a small planet in the distance. "That's Crait- an old rebel outpost that should have enough ammo and power for us to get a distress signal to our allies."

Tash nodded in understanding. "Anything to get us out of the sky. I know you guys are all ga-ga over it but I'm ready to plant my feet on the ground."

As I went to turn to Poe, one of the transports outside of the window went up in flames. Tash screamed out grasping my arm. Poe exited the room and I followed, gathering with Leia in the front of our ship. "They've found out our plan."

I panicked as I grabbed for the pager at my side, knowing it wouldn't work from my ship to the others, but needing to send something to Ezra and my team. I had no idea which ship they were all on. No signal came back as I paged him.

We watched as ship after ship was plucked off before our main cruiser spun and faced the Order.

"Holdo... is she..." I heard Tash whisper from beside me. I pulled her close, realizing that the Admiral was giving the ultimate sacrifice for us and The Resistance. We all watched in wonder as she kicked the cruiser into light speed, cutting straight through Snoke's ship and shooting shrapnel out to destroy the others.

There was no celebration. No cheering. Just gratitude and sorrow filling our transport, knowing we had lost many lives, but not knowing who.

Those feelings followed us into Crait. It looked like a snowy planet until you were on it. The salt flew across the ground as a light wind blew, and I could taste the substance on my tongue. I exited our ship, looking to the others in the hopes of seeing my team. Panic gripped my chest as people filed out, but I saw a few faces that eased it. Zane was the first- looking around with wide eyes before seeing me, breaking into a run.

"Dr. Dreis," he said with relief flooding his voice. I met him with a hard embrace, feeling him shaking slightly beneath my arms.

"I'm so happy to see you," I whispered. Tears were pricking the back of my eyes  as I held him back and looked over him. "Tash is in that ship," I said pointing to the one I had come from. "Go find her and stay with her until we get further command, okay?"

He ran off with a nod, and I continued my search for my team among the remaining ships. Two more of my medics met me, visibly upset as the realization that they survived by chance hit them with all its force. I sent them to Tash as well, starting to get frantic as there was only one last ship.