CHAPTER XXXVIII

"So our flyers will engage merely as a distraction to allow you to enter our atmosphere undetected?"

"Correct," I said to Yunish's blue hologram. "I'll patch into your system and relay when we are in the clear. It should be a simple tactic that they won't think much of, but the element of surprise will be on our side once we are ready to fully engage them in our attack."

The leader nodded with a thoughtful look. "And how long do you think it will take before our attack on the fighters?"

"Depends on your pilots honestly. I'd like to only take a few days, but if we need longer then we need longer. I don't want to rush this and anyone else be hurt on my watch."

"Understood. We will be anxiously awaiting your arrival. Thank you, Leia, for sending her our way."

The General spoke from beside me, "Of course, Yunish. You have the Resistance's full support as we have yours. We will speak soon."

The transmission cut out and I turned to the General. "You're sure you're okay for me to leave?" The woman looked tired this morning, and I had picked up on it immediately, much to her annoyance.

"Sienna, I am fine. Please quit asking me."

I held up my hands. "Alright. I'm just worried about you."

She grabbed my hand with a quick squeeze. "Worry about yourself, Rose and your fighters, Lieutenant. There will be plenty of time to fret over me when you return."

I rolled my eyes, but ceased my questioning regardless. We made our way to the hangar so I could suit up, and Rose was already standing at the base of my ship bouncing on the balls of her feet while talking to Tash. The blue-haired woman was sitting in the cockpit looking very out of place.

"Tash, what in stars name are you doing up there?"

Leia laughed as Tash startled. "I just wanted to see what all your fuss was about over these damn ships." She climbed down the ladder, then stood with her hands on her hips as she stared up at the X-wing. "And honestly, I don't get the charm."

I walked over and slung an arm around her shoulders. "That, my friend, is why you aren't a pilot."

"That and the awful uniforms," she said as she flicked the orange material. I scoffed at her, but pulled her into a quick hug nonetheless.

"I'll be back before you know it. Don't cause too much trouble while I'm gone."

She nodded with a bright smile. "You better be, Dreis. I'll make sure to keep Ezra fed so he doesn't get too cranky."

I threw my head back with a laugh, turning to a slightly nervous looking Rose. "Rose, are you ready to go?"

"I am. Both ships are good for takeoff."

"Are you nervous?"

"No!" she answered too quickly. I quirked a brow at her for a moment before she sighed. "Okay, yes. I'm a little nervous."

I grabbed her shoulders and smiled at the young woman as Leia approached our side. "You'll do just fine. This part of our journey will be easy. Once we are prepared to fight them, you'll have all of the tools you need to be successful." I looked over to the General. "Hopefully."

The smile she had crinkled the edges of her eyes with a light laugh. "We all have full faith in you both. Yunish and her pilots will be ready for you to patch over as soon as you're outside of their atmosphere."

"Thank you, Leia." I gave her a hug, holding her tight before turning to Poe's X-wing. Settling into the cockpit, I placed my helmet with a last wave to Tash before the hatch closed. I ran my hand over the panels, flipping the necessary switches to bring the engines to life. A smile made its way to my face as I thought of mirroring Poe's actions in his great ship.