CHAPTER XIII

"My dad and I used to do gravitational slingshots around neighboring planets for fun. I never thought it'd come in handy to save our lives, but... I'm really glad it did." I took a deep breath and looked over to General Organa who gave me a reassuring nod from across the table, encouraging me to continue.

I was explaining the success on Devaron and our escape from the TIE fighters to a room full of people. It isn't like I had a problem with speaking in front of a crowd, I just hadn't even had a chance to process what had happened just a few hours prior. I looked down at my hands, fidgeting with the hem of my shirt and taking a deep breath. Under the table, Poe reached over and grabbed one of my hands, giving it a gentle squeeze before placing both of his forearms on the table and clasping his hands together.. He continued where I left off, recounting how the slingshot works and how jumping into lightspeed when they lost sight of us made us impossible to track.

"When it comes down to it, Dr. Dreis saved more than just the lives on Devaron today. Her quick thinking and confidence allowed us to return unharmed." Poe concluded with a sweeping look across the room. Tash slung her arm over my shoulder, smiling like a fool as the rest of the room broke out in applause and cheer. I just knew my face was tinged pink with embarrassment, but I smiled gratefully at those around me.

The room began to slowly clear out, everyone going back to their respective quarters. Tash, Poe and I stayed seated at the table with Kaydel. I recognized her from around the base. I believe she was one out Leia's Lieutenants. Leia and Admiral Statura were huddled closer to the General's desk near the back of the room.

"I literally had no idea that Commander Dreis was your uncle! No wonder you could fly like that- it basically runs in your blood." Kaydel was on the edge of her seat, looking at me in amazement.

"Trust me, there were plenty of lessons that got me there. I'd say they definitely paid off. My father treated me like one of his piloting students, so I was expected to fly just as good as they did."

"So why not become a pilot then?" she asked, tilting her head.

"My mother was a nurse. I guess I felt like I owed something to her since she passed away giving me life. I was always the one other kids came to when they fell and cut themselves or twisted an ankle- it just came natural to me to nurture and help heal. My father picked up on this pretty early on, so I think he knew that I was going to follow in her footsteps." I finished with a shrug.

"Well I'm sure glad you did, Si." Tash said grabbing my hand with her right hand and stifling a yawn with the left. "I need to go make some last rounds before heading to bed. You and I have a friend date tomorrow night, and don't think you're getting out of it. We have things to discuss."

I rolled my eyes playfully at my friend, knowing good and well there was no escaping the onslaught of questions I would be getting from her tomorrow. "I'm looking forward to it, love. Have a good evening." Tash blew me a kiss before waving to the other two and heading towards the med wing.

"I should probably go too." Kaydel stood up from her chair and gave us a bright smile. "I'm really happy you all got back safely."

"Thanks, Lieutenant." Poe replied with an appreciative look and a small nod.

Once we were alone at the table, Poe turned towards me with an unreadable look. "How are you feeling, doc?"

I sat back in the chair, closing my eyes for a moment before answering. "I'm alright. Exhausted. In the mood for a glass of wine."

"Ha! I think we both deserve one after today."

"Are you implying I should invite you to join me, Commander?" I raised my brow at the man.