CHAPTER XXVII

Entering the medical room, I was surprised to see Finn standing in a puddle of bacta with a deflated suit. Tash was trying to mend the holes that were draining the liquid while Poe talked quietly with the recovered man.

"What happened to my suit?!"

All three turned to me. Finn had a sheepish look on his face. "Yeah, sorry about that Dr. Dreis. I woke up and kind of freaked out. Hopefully I didn't ruin it."

Tash sighed, walking over to me and giving up on her patch work. "I had gone to take our bags to our quarters. Of course in the few minutes I was gone he decided to wake up. I came back to an empty bed and a trail of bacta all over the floor. I ran into these two goofs trying to track Finn down."

I pinched the bridge of my nose. "Well, I'm glad you're awake Finn. How are you feeling?"

"I feel brand new. Poe was just filling me in on where Rey is."

I looked at Poe for the first time since entering the room. Normally I would have latched onto him, but right now all I could think about were the dead pilots from that suicide mission. Poe's eyes searched my face, no doubt noticing my glassy eyes and the dried tear stains on my cheeks.

"Let's get you into some clothes then. Poe, will you go grab some of yours for him?"

Tash and I got Finn out of the limp, wet suit, giving him privacy to change. I held the suit up out in the hall examining the small holes. Tash peeked over my shoulder. "The irony is that a bacta suit has unfixable holes, huh?"

I smiled back at the woman, thankful for her light-heartedness. "Ironic indeed. There should be an extra on the med ship. Can you go call Ezra just to check?"

"You got it, babe." With a quick slap to my backside, Tash made her way to the communications room.

"You both really do have a weird relationship," Poe said as he came back down the hall. My joking mood quickly faded away. He was walking slowly, like he was approaching a wild animal. I stood unmoving. Step-by-step he came until he was standing right in front of me. He brought one of his hands up to cup my face, but kept some distance between us. I tried to reel in my anger, but the sounds of the dying pilots played on repeat in my head.

"What the fuck was that insubordinate display, Poe? What were you thinking?" I whispered the words, afraid that I would raise my voice if I spoke any louder. His brow furrowed as he brought his hand back at his side.

"Doc, did you see what we did? Their dreadnought is gon-"

Sadness whipped through me. "I saw it. All of it. Every ship that was shot down. Every pilot that died. Did you know over half of our fleet died in that attack, Poe? Over half. Dead." I took a deep breath, calming myself down.

"You think I don't realize that, Sienna?" He asked quietly. "Every one of us out there made an oath that this Resistance is worth dying for. They didn't die in vain; I wouldn't allow that to happen." He closed the space between us, making me strain my neck to look up at him. "Trust me- we all knew the risk of that attack, and they followed me into it without hesitation."

A message came over the intercom. "Commander Dameron, you are requested at the command deck."

I rubbed my temples in frustration. "I do trust you. I understand why you took the risk. Losing that many lives is just a hard pill for me to swallow." I grabbed his hand, inter-lacing our fingers. "General Organa is livid, Dameron. May I suggest not provoking her. I will be a united front with you when we are with others regardless of what I think of your plan privately, but I will not insert myself between you and Leia."