CHAPTER XXXII

"Absolutely not!"

"Are you out of your mind?!"

I rolled my eyes at Poe and Ezra's reactions, expecting as much. I had gathered them and Leia to go over my plan of stepping down as the Resistance's lead doctor and falling into a fighter position. At least for the time being.

"You guys didn't even give one second to think on it."

Poe ran a hand through his hair, pacing away from me in frustration. "I don't need a second, Sienna. Like hell I'm going to let you get out there with all of this. Now is not the time to be learning how to pilot."

"I know how to pilot, Dameron, and I'm pretty damn good at it as you know. We are down to eleven people who can fly right now. It seems like you need all of the help that you can get." I turned to Ezra who was looking out into the cave. "Ezra, I want to give you my position. With our team being so... small, now, you will be more than capable of running the ship on your own. And it isn't like I'm gone or anything. I'll still be here as backup if needed."

He turned to me with a contemplative look. "You said that you are being called to do this. You're sure it's outweighing the call you had to join the med field? Because you're about to be doing something significantly more dangerous, and I just want to make sure you've thought this through..."

"I've never been more sure of anything. I feel in my heart that I was put on a path to make this decision. To lean on my heritage in a time when it is so desperately needed. It isn't like it has to be forever. I can always pick the med field back up down the road." I turned to the General, who had been sitting quiet throughout the entire thing. "Leia, I will do whatever you think is right, without question. However I believe that you have known I would face this decision. What do you want me to do?"

Leia smiled at me as she placed a hand on my cheek. "Ever so perceptive, my dear, but you are right. You have proven to us all that you can handle any challenges put in front of you. I want you to do whatever your heart is telling you. If that means fighting on the battlefield, then that is what you should do. You have my support." I gave her a wide smile, soaking up the look of maternal love that she was giving me.

"You have mine as well, Si," Ezra came to place a hand on my shoulder. I nodded to him before turning to the pilot, who was fuming.

His jaw was clenched so hard that I worried for his teeth cracking. I approached him, speaking in a quiet voice. "Poe, please."

He ran a hand over his face. "Sienna I can't support you in doing this. It is going against everything within me to not stand by you, but I can't let you put yourself in danger like this."

I closed my eyes, reigning in the quick anger that I felt towards him. I knew he was just scared of what could happen. "Poe, I put myself in danger the moment I decided to join the Resistance. I've done all I can to help behind the scenes here. I need to be out there, fighting for the cause alongside you and the others." I stepped closer to him, looking up into his brown eyes. "I will do this without your blessing, but I don't want to. I need your guidance out there."

He looked up over me to Leia. "So you're just going to let her do this then?"

"Her decision has already been made, Poe. I think you can see that."

His eyes snapped back to mine. "Yeah well mine has, too," he said before taking off further into the cavern. I watched him until he disappeared behind an old ship. With a sigh, I turned back to the other two.

Leia had a knowing smile. "He will come around."

Once day broke, everyone started to get into the groove of survival. Everyone had been given blasters from the old artillery cabinet at the base. We knew there wasn't much time before the Order showed up on Crait, and we had to be ready. Leia was up at the opening of the base keeping lookout.